1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement song/poem for headteacher

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gemma1997, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody had some nice ideas on this subject? Our headteacher is leaving after 20 years at the school and am struggling to find something for my reception class to perform in the assembly.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Wow - 20 years! That deserves a medal!
    I'm trying to think of a song with twenty in it...sorry, brain not good - report-writing!...can only think of ninety-nine red balloons...not helpful! You could adapt a children's number song to twenty....
    My original thought though (reports really scrambling my wires!) was that you should start by writing a list of all the things your head is good at, all the things the children love about him/her (let's hope there's something!), all the things s/he is famous for (little phrases, habits where appropriate!) - the children could help with that - and you write a poem, setting it to a tune that's very familiar to the children (something a little less dull than Old MacDonald!) Then, at least, they have only the words to worry about, not the tune.
    OR...brain's going into overdrive now...take a song like Abba's 'Thank you for the music' - a karaoke version! - and adapt some of the words as above... If it scans OK with the music, you could fit the head's name in the chorus -
    e.g. 'Thank you Mr. Stafford...' or whatever!

Now that could be really cute cos. that's a real tear jerker of a song. I taught my Reception kiddies 'Sing' by the Carpenters one year and the parents were nearly in tears...the la-la-la bit was lovely!!
    Good luck!

3. Ask the children! Use the tune that you know really well, and make up the words. Wont matter if its as cheesy as cheesy, the head will love it!