1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement party!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Jan 18, 2020.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Just a quick question that I would be interested to hear from teaching colleagues, support staff and SLT/HTs- when you retired, did you have a retirement party?

I am a Headteacher and I retire in July, thinking about organising a retirement party for myself (my DHT suggested it)- the party would be funded by myself completely but just wondering if it’s worth it or not? I’m not using it as an opportunity for staff to purchase gifts but as an opportunity to get together outside of work- thoughts?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I didn't :eek::eek: and wouldn't even if the circumstances had been better.

Buy in a nice lunch or buffet for after school, whichever you think will suit your folk best or go to the pub and put some money behind the bar. What's this "outside work" business. You're colleagues first, friends, with some, second I would think. What if you put on a bash and then they didn't turn up - they'll be on to the next thing pretty quickly you know.

Keep your retirement events professional rather than personal is my advice. But you don't have to take it of course.

Piranha likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

How long have you worked at your school? How big do you want to go with it? On school site ? Teachers past and present, your family? A speech ?

Or

Do you go for casual 'neutral' venue with a small party of guests?

And more importantly - what do you plan to do after retirement?

4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

At the end of the year, almost every year, we'd have an open-house where we provided drinks and snacks primarily for our two departments so in our last year we just opened this up to everyone - luckily it was good weather as about half the staff turned up.

There was only one 'do' organised by the school in the 30 years we were there and that was when a large group were made redundant where, luckily, all those who went did so voluntarily and with enhanced pensions. Very mixed emotions at that one.

5. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

'Just a quick question that I would be interested to hear from teaching colleagues, support staff and SLT/HTs- when you retired, did you have a retirement party?'

I didn't . I left with 2 other people on the same day. All 3 of us didn't want to have a retirement party. What I did was to take my close family and 2 true friends out for a lovely meal it was superb.

My advice , for what it is worth , look forward to the next chapter in your life with people who care about you and you about them. I would do the same thing again no regrets. Enjoy your retirement in the summer.

Prim likes this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you are used to hosting such a gathering at your house for colleagues and want to make it a bit bigger then go ahead. For me, at the end of a busy term, it would be my worst nightmare. To be blunt, it should be a special occasion for you not hard hard and considerable expense. I said I didn’t want a separate party but would enjoy a staff meal out as we often did at that time of year. I provided some drinks and a good time was had, I think. Then you all move on.

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

..it should say ...hard work...
    Enjoy whatever you plan.

8. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

We've got into the habit of having a smallish event at which cards/gifts are presented with a short speech. (Or a longer speech - depends who's giving it!) But then anyone who wants goes off to a local restaurant, and quite a few of those who've already retired also show up (everyone pays their own way). It makes for a good, social evening, and is a sort of transition. The new retiree often gets invited to follow up events, those of us who are hanging on have the chance for a catch up with old colleagues. I've decided this is what I'll do as it's worked really well on the 5 or 6 occasions we've done it so far.

9. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I worked full time for 11 years and then for the last 19 part time as Senco in several different schools. When I retired last summer I took the opportunity to invite former colleagues to a very informal 'bash' at school one Friday evening. I provided a finger buffet and drinks and for me it was the perfect way to celebrate. It was wonderful to get folk from various schools together and lovely to see some I hadn't seen for many years. It wasn't an occasion for presents though some were kind enough to bring small gifts. I gave a short speech, including some of the funny moments. Personally I needed a way to say 'thank you' to staff who had given me support and encouragement over many years.

tall tales likes this.
  10. thejudgesscoresarein

Thanks for all your comments. I have been at the school for 27 years- 23 years as HT so it’s quite a significant amount of time. I would be looking to invite all current colleagues and some former colleagues who I’ve worked with over the years and who have since moved on along with governors too!

freckle06 likes this.
  11. thejudgesscoresarein

And as I am going to be relocating down south, this is probably going to be the last opportunity that I’ll see many of them.

12. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

I’m going in July and I shall do the same - big party at my house, everyone brings a plate of something- much less formal and cringey than something at work- and hopefully will then sail off into the sunset
    There’s only one person I will keep in contact with socially- I have never really been one to be friends with staff as i feel it is unprofessional. However they wish to mark my going and I’d like to do something to say thank you for all their hard work and support over the years .

Piranha likes this.
  13. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I think a retirement party is a lovely idea and everyone will enjoy it. Many years ago when I first started teaching our HT retired and she had a party. It was in a local venue and all the current and former staff went and we had an excellent time. It’s over twenty years ago and I still remember it. Have a great party - your staff will appreciate it.

Piranha and tall tales like this.
  14. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

I've seen the retirement of two longstanding Heads. One arranged a reasonably formal venue and of course needed to know numbers in advance. Only senior and long-standing staff went (although I'm sure that that wasn't his intention). Younger staff wouldn't commit, and knew they would want to get away to the pub or families anyway. The second organised some really nice buffet food to be delivered to the school and more wine and fizz than could reasonably be consumed. A great time was (unexpectedly) had by just about everyone, including herself and the local cab firm.