1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement on grounds of ill health.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by justbrowsing, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Has anyone been successful doing this and how difficult is it?

2. redgrape

redgrape New commenter

Hi justbrowsing

I got IHR in 2008, I honestly thought I would not be able to get it but I was supported by the OH doctor, my Rheumatologist consultant & my GP. You do have to prove that all avenues of treatment etc have been tried and that you will not get better. I have a rare autoimmune problem & so treatment is only for the symptoms when they arise but it cannot be cured. Therefore my health is unpredictable from day to day.

Have a look on the Teachers pension site & you will find some information there, also ask your union they may be able to help as well. I filled in the form & had supporting letters from consultant, OH doctor and my GP filled in the medical form which was mainly a print out of medical issues and the fact that there is no known cure & that treatment of symptoms is very difficult & tends to be trial & error. Once all the forms where in it took about 3 months but I did not have to have a medical & just received a letter telling me I'd got it with enhancement.

redgrape