1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Retirement letter

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by silver60, May 11, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest how I should word a retirement letter? Should I sum up the pain and joy of 14 years teaching in my last school or make it short and to the point? Also, do I address it to the Head or Chair of Govs. - or write 2 separate letters?
  2. Short & sweet! I would never leave a school having said anything about "pain", you never know how it might be taken & whether at some future point you may need some goodwill from them. I just sent my letter to the Head & kept a signed copy [​IMG]
  3. When I retired 12 months ago NUT advised me of what do write in my resignation which I sent to LEA and Chair of Governors.......
    'I wish to resign from my position as a teacher at ....................School from 31st August 2011 to take retirement. I would be pleased if you would accept my resignation from that date.
    Yours sincerely
    Short and sweet. This I did and told the Headteacher of my decision verbally. Hope this helps!
  4. Yes i did same from 31 August to governor and copy to head teacher. It took him till now to respond with a prompt though I did it in January!
  5. Agree with post 3. I didn't even mention I was retiring. Why do you need to include anything else?
  6. "Should I sum up the pain and joy of 14 years teaching in my last school"

LOL. Why would you want to do this? What would it achieve? You are resigning, so just resign without the melodramatics. Short and sweet.
  7. Because in my school we have a special mass and tea party for retirees (of whom I will be one of 3 this year) and it is always lovely.
  8. That's a different matter. I will be saying goodbye to my close colleagues in a more informal way.
  9. Going to do that as well!
  10. Thanks to all of you for your advice - I shall keep it short and sweet - no 'melodramatics'! I'll save that for the night out!