1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement letter - what do I need to say?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by tabbycat911, Apr 25, 2019.

1. tabbycat911

tabbycat911 New commenter

I am going to take early retirement at the age of 58, due to the crucifying workload and stress of my current position (bullying by SLT). This is not something I ever planned to do, but have got to the sad position where I doubt I will ever want to teach again. With this in mind, how should I word my resignation letter? I obviously won’t be using this as a means to vent my spleen, but feel uncomfortable at having to produce a gushing letter just to appease the powers that be. Can anyone advise please?

2. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Stick to the basics. Give the leave date and that's it. Bite your tongue

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Make sure you say that you intend to take your pension benefits from that date as they have to confirm this for TPS. If they don’t , there can be a delay.

4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

You don't need to appease so just be efficient.

Dear
    I wish to tender my resignation and retire from teaching effective from 31 August 2019. My last working day will be 31 August 2019. As I am also retiring and wish to claim the benefits from the TPS please confirm this with them.
    Yours sincerely

(oh and good luck on your retirement - I've not met a teacher yet who isn't feeling good about it!)

5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I had a similar experience, although I only made it to 57. Again, it was not something I had been planning but I had had enough of the overwork and the criticism. As a teacher, you become adept at bottling up your feelings, staying calm and professional . The pious ideals and highmindedness contrasting with the cr@##y day to day reality also tends to jar a bit! I am so glad it is all behind me. Retirement is brilliant. The best 'revenge' is to start planning for a healthier, more fulfilling retirement without the stress and bullying of school life. Book a holiday for late September and send the school some postcards..that's the best revenge, just when the honeymoon period with the kids is wearing off , marking is mounting up and performance management is in full swing.
    Oh, and for your last term, walk around with a smug grin and ignore all requests for unnecessary paper work.
    There is no need to say anything other than the basics as everyone else has said. Good luck!

tabbycat911 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Here is my letter - pretty much word for word:
    Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

I wish to resign from my position as a teacher at xxxxxx School from the end of the Summer term 2015, to take retirement. I would be pleased if you would accept my resignation from that date.

Yours sincerely

Short and to the point.

tabbycat911 likes this.
  7. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

End of August or end of summer term? I would have thought leaving or retiring at end of year would mean that one was paid until end Aug. i.e. end of school year.

Startedin82 and tabbycat911 like this.
  8. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Yes, according to the Burgundy book, your resignation date is August 31st and this needs to be in your letter and, more importantly, on the TPS form.

9. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Don't forget that you will need permission from the GB to retire early as a serving member. They can refuse but only the once I believe. I retired at 59 this Easter but I'm going to apply for my pension in May as an "out of service member". There wouldn't have been a problem but it just seemed easier.

Just to echo other comments here - your letter must state end date of 31 August as per the Burgundy Book. Otherwise they may try and only pay you to the end of term.

10. firstpoet

firstpoet New commenter

As others have said, keep it as simple as possible. No need for gush and pointless and crass doing any criticism.