1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement expectations

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by roseangel, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I would be quite annoyed by this kind of expectation too. But as I've got older I've also got better at saying no.
    I would just broadcast long and loud how much you are looking forward to having time to yourself and how you'll be doing a book group on Monday, gardening club on Tuesday etc and make it clear to all and sundry you will be busy pleasing yourself for the first time in years (ever?).

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Or you could mention that you are now considering not going part-time or retiring as so many people thought they had claims on your time you thought you would be better off working.

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Kittylion. That's exactly what I'm thinking. I may as well be paid for the babysitting [​IMG]

Thanks for the replies

Roseangel: I have a feeling one friend might feel I ought to rearrange a minor thing like 'book club' though.
    But I think the idea of a hypothetical calendar (I've got as far as Wednesday evening) will mean I can just 'veg out' with no demands

4. You could just laugh and say Sorry will be too busy partying! Many a true word spoken in jest.

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

p/t would be a new contract thus loss of tlr etc (unless school wants a p/t tlr holder.) Days would be whatever the school timetables

6. The way round this if the school is willing is to job share. Much more flexibility than p/t as you can divide the week up with the other person as you want. The school benefits, too, as you can cover for each other if one of you is ill or goes on a course. It's a bit harder to set up but not impossible.

7. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I've been job sharing since September. I teach in the afternoon. I would have chosen mornings because that's when we teach literacy, but my teaching partner with more seniority in the school asked for mornings. I thought I would do this for more than one year, but I have decided to retire. Since Christmas, I just don't feel like putting in the effort to plan. I will put in the effort, but just until June. Working part time has shown me that a person can have a lovely life attending hot yoga class Monday, Wednesday and Friday, weight lifting Tuesday and Thursday, running 3 times a week, writing, etc., etc.There are people out there having a good time living at their own pace. I recommend job sharing as your window into retirement.