1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Retirement due to family member's ill health

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Rosieett, Sep 8, 2018.

  1. Rosieett

    Rosieett New commenter

    Hi, I'm 59 and feel that I want to retire due to a family member's ill health. I need to look after them. I'm not been back to work this term and don't feel I can. What is my position? Must I serve half a term or something? I don't know what to do. I haven't spoken to pensions yet. Thank you in advance.
  2. Sundaytrekker

    Sundaytrekker Star commenter

    You are entitled to resign, leave and apply for your pension slightly reduced if you are still below 60. You will not get any enhancements for a family member’s ill health as it is not your health. Teachers pensions will only give you information on how to trigger your pension benefits.

    Your bigger problem is the interim period. Are you on compassionate leave? Usually a maximum of 5-10 days. Or are you being signed of for stress? Officially you must resign to leave on December 31st and work till the end of term. If your circumstances warrant it you could ask your school if you can resign with immediate effect but your pay will stop straight away. You cannot just not go to work if you are not on compassionate leave or off sick. The only other possibility is asking for an extended period of unpaid leave if this is a temporary situation and you hope to return later.
    eljefeb90 likes this.
  3. Rosieett

    Rosieett New commenter

    Yes I'm off work for stress due to family member being ill. How long can I be off work for? How does this affect my pension? Thank you.
  4. phatsals

    phatsals Senior commenter

    If you are ill you are entitled to the usual sick pay, 6 months full and 6 months half pay. If you are in pay, pension contributions will be made.

    If you feel you won't be able to return to work you can resign now, with a leaving date of Christmas, or ask your HT for early release. You can apply for your ARB pension now, it will only be slightly reduced as you are 59.
    eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. eljefeb90

    eljefeb90 Senior commenter

    Brilliant advice. All I can add is to contact TPS as soon as possible . The website is excellent. You can use a calculator to gauge the monthly pension and lump sum. It will give you one less thing to worry about. I am the same age as you and I retired nearly three years ago and without the compelling and stressful reasons you have to cope with.
  6. PeterQuint

    PeterQuint Lead commenter

    How much that will affect your pension will be down to how long you’ve been paying in.

    If you’ve been paying in for 30-odd years it’ll hardly make a difference. If you’ve only been paying in for a year you’ll roughly halve the pension you would have got, though frankly it’d be next to nothing anyway.

    Obviously, if you’re 59 you’re likely to have been paying in for years.

    Good luck.
  7. Rosieett

    Rosieett New commenter

    Thank you for your replies. I just don't know how I can work efficiently if I feel sick with worry and stress all the time. I might ask for reduced hours, but how will I concentrate. It's not fair to the school. Perhaps I could try to go back to work. I loved my job and feel sad that I might have to leave it. I don't know what to do for the best. THank you in advance
  8. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    Contact TP and get info from them about the finances, then if you are in an LA school you could speak to HR to find out how soon you can retire. Then, with that information,go to your head and explain you want to retire asap. You may be able to get a sick note for the remaining notice period. You need proper advice now so ask the people who actually have the answers. Your union should have relevant info too. Start doing it today and get this sorted out.

Share This Page