1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement Celebration Ideas..PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alisonjayneridgeback, Jun 9, 2010.

1. alisonjayneridgeback

alisonjayneridgeback New commenter

We have a very much valued male member of staff retiring at the end of this school year. He has been with us for 20 years and has been popular with both staff and pupils all of that time. We want to do something really special for him and thought it would be nice to involve the children in something that he can remember for years to come.
    Has anyone got any ideas for anything that we could do?
    Thank you in anticipation,
    Alison and Alison

2. alisonjayneridgeback

We have a very much valued male member of staff retiring at the end of this school year. He has been with us for 20 years and has been popular with both staff and pupils all of that time. We want to do something really special for him and thought it would be nice to involve the children in something that he can remember for years to come.
    Has anyone got any ideas for anything that we could do?
    Thank you in anticipation,
    Alison and Alison

3. Involve the local paper for a start and get them there at some point to take a photo and do a nice write up. Paper clippings make a great memory.
    I usually chose a song that they like and re-write the words into a fare well song and this is performed in a final farewell assmebly in the hall. Invite relevant governors, friends of the school and family members of the retired person and put on a buffet for them a lunch time after this. We pay the mid days for an extra half hour so we get a decent lunch time.
    We also scanned all the old staff photos and made a powerpoint slide show with the Busted song - that's what I go to school for...
    Each class usually completes a scrap book with photos of them and personal good luck messages .
    We made a photo album with old photos from trips and events and past pupils and parents wrote messages on cards we prepared which we also stuck in the album.
    We also had a talented parent who made a great personalise leaving cake with figures on the top etc.
    Staff obviously contribute to a present, as have governors and the PTA with some members of staff - the governors and PTA gifts were presented in assembly.
    If you need any ideas I can email you my songs ( I've written about 6 over the years) if you need inspiration, PM me
    I also write a more humourous poem for the ears of the staff only which we read at the end of the day when we give our present and say our goodbyes. Have got an excellent link to a viral video where you can up load a photo to make them your HERO - its great.
    Our head is leaving this year and I have great plans afoot! I love doing things like this!

mytmot likes this.
  4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Hi, not a suggestion re your question but just a warning in case that is your real name Alison, best to use a nom de plume online.

5. At my old school there was a secretary who retired after about 30 years and a special assembly was planned. Each year group did a little song or short play about things that had happened both in school or generally over those decades. The parents and govs came in to watch and everyone came in fancy dress from about 1965 onwards. There were telly characters, pop stars and much more. Then somehow someone tracked down one of the old head teachers from years ago and she arrived in a wheelchair to do a little speech and present the gift. Parents were able to donate to the gift, but I seem to remember it was a major mission to get the letters about the assembly and donations out without the secretary noticing. She thought that was it, but then we all went out for a big meal as well. Hope you have a good time whatever you do!

6. alisonjayneridgeback

Hi Michellie - your ideas sound great....would be fantastic if you could email me the songs you talked about..that would help a lot. We already do a lot of the things you mentionned but as there are other people leaving too and our head is going to be away so there are other things to cover, it would be a real help to get some ideas already done so to speak!! If you could use ac@sowerby.n-yorks.sch.uk that would be fantastic.
    Many thanks!![​IMG]

7. Get children from each year group to draw a picture of themselves. More able children can write "When I was in Mr XXXXX class, I remember when ..........."
    One word to describe Mr XXXXX is ....................
    These can be all be stick in one big book and bound together. On the front get one of the children to draw a picture of Mr XXXXX to stick on it. Turn it into a competition and the winner has their picture as the front cover.
    Year 6 could do This is your life for assembly introducing Mr X
    Mr XXX was born on 12th January 1950 and was given the name david alex brown (or what ever )
    He went to XXXX primary and xxxx secondary. He went on to teacher training and first taught in xxxxx he then joined our school in xxxxxxx
    And so on. Maybe you couldu get old photos of him to produce a slide show/power point

8. It's good to see that some people care about the good work teachers do. Sadly my husband is leaving teaching this summer due to ill health. He's been at the school for 24 years yet no celebration or leaving do is planned. We know from many including the ex pupils we meet from time to time that he's a well respected & admired teacher yet there has been no acknowledgement from the senior management or authority regarding the good work he has done.
    I trust that you give the teacher in question a rousing send off. It will mean a great deal to him.

lardylegs likes this.
  9. Hi,
    Have done one of these and all the suggestions are great. Don't know your circumstances but did contact the local High School and some past pupils came along after school one evening. They had bands and they played. Also invited parents to a farewell picninc in the school grounds. They brought their own picninc and this gave the HT time to talk to the parents in a relaxed way while the bands played in the hall. He dipped in and out so he didn't have to sit there all the time! Startedstraight after school and was finished by 5.30 - 6 ish. It was lovely too! Hope this helps.

10. Don't know how close you are to past colleagues but you could video "This is your life" type stuff.

11. If you need any ideas I can email you my songs ( I've written about 6 over the years) if you need inspiration, PM me.
    Yes please Michellie!! In desperate need of a song to plagiarise.
    Many, Many thanks in anticipation tigar.252@hotmail.co.uk

12. Hi Moe,
    Have emailed you all the songs - hope they are of use. I've also
    given a link to Waterfin and Alison about a viral video. So here's a
    copy of my message to them.

Thought you might like this viral video - the first time you watch
    it it takes ages to load and count down - then its quicker the second
    time round.

At the end of it - there's the option of pasting your own picture on
    of the person who' s leaving.

Stick with the video its worht it!

Michelle

http://en.tackfilm.se/?id=1276804394140RA44

Have put Waterfin's avatar onit as it was the first one I did.
    Hope all is well - it's mad this time of year. We've done a couple of spoof videos (for staff eyes only) in the past too. This year as its the Head who's going, we're doing Britney's Hit Me Baby One More Time (with the school uniform etc) I can't wait I've re-done the lyrics for that too! We have a great parent who does videos for a living and she comes in and films! It's hilarious and really unites the staff.! Good luck with yr song.

13. Hi Michellie,
    This is really helpful as our DHT is retiring after 33 years in the school. Would you please e-mail me your songs at happysongster@yahoo.ie
    Many thanks!

14. HI, they're sent! Happy writing,

15. Wow! Is there any chance you can email some songs too! We also have a much loved member of staff leaving and Im desperately trying to think of some songs! Thanks
    Julieophillips@googlemail.com

16. Hi Michellie,

Is there any chance you could send them to me aswell? Both my HT and a valued colleague are retiring after nearly 30 years in the school. They would both really appreciate it. My e-mail address is
    louisaj84@live.co.uk
    Thanks x

17. Check yr mail x

18. Hi would you mind emailing the songs to me please aswell sarahwhiteuk2001@yahoo.com I am wracking my brain for ideas for our headteacher's retirement and am struggling. Thank you

19. Hi Pam
    Sorry to hear of your husband's experience but exactly the same thing happened to me after 15 years of teaching. I know that I had done a good job and was respected by children, families and colleagues - and have past letters of thanks and observation reports to prove it. I served as a Teacher Governor for many years as well but, as with your husband, received no acknowledgement for all the selfless hours over and above the required time that I willingly gave.
    I understand how hurt and rejected he must feel. I only hope those selfish unthinking people who where responsible for these thoughtless inactions get treated the same. Just a simple thank you card would have at least been an acknowledgment - but hey - who wants a lavish do put on by hypocrites. Have no fear that the people who matter will remember and value his true worth
    Best wishes to you both.

lardylegs likes this.