1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement at Easter

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Startedin82, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I think it was to do with the Burgundy Book saying each complete term gives an entitlement of a third of a year’s salary. This is why the date is April 30th and they said I couldn’t make it contingent on them returning till 30th. I had intended to retire in a year when Easter came early to take advantage of the rule but didn’t! I’m interested in other interpretations of this, though.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

No, that is not the correct reading of the Burgundy Book. Yes, you have to pay for both teachers, but there is nothing to say that the teacher concerned does not have to work for the whole time. If the teacher is leaving to go to another school, it does say that they cannot be forced to work for the part of April after the holiday, but in that case, their salary will be paid by the new school for that period. There have been several threads on this subject in the past.

The Burgundy Book uses 'term' to refer to the 4 month periods and 'school term' to refer to when the school is in action. Teachers are employed over the 4 month term, and have to work on those days when the school is on, including INSET days.

3. Niges123

Niges123 New commenter

I retired at Easter best thing I ever did got the most out of this years fab weather and was able to “adjust” to my new lifestyle before my wife broke up for the summer hols ( junior school teacher).

Startedin82, eljefeb90 and PeterQuint like this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

You jammy sod! :D

How on earth did you plan the last couple of months' fantastic weather? Can you have a guess at tonight's winning lottery numbers?

5. Niges123

Niges123 New commenter

started my retirement by walking the length of Hadrian’s Wall good for the soul

6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Camping or B&B?

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Perhaps, for those of us in secondary with plenty of exam classes, summer is more appropriate. But otherwise, I can see the attraction of having the time of year with the longest days as the start of retirement. However I enjoyed the start of official retirement by going to China to celebrate our 30th anniversary shortly after my colleagues had gone back to school.

8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Yes, I alluded to this earlier in the thread.

If you're secondary, you could potentially have up to 10 hours of Year 11 a week. If your exam comes early that could mean working over half of your final term on a half timetable. You're effectively getting full time pay for a part time timetable. And for doing nothing all summer long, of course.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not quite. For a start, throughout exams we had a room where a teacher would be available to help anybody who turned up, and the number of duty periods was proportional to the amount of gained time. But also, this was when we did other jobs, mainly for the department. Mine included sorting resources on the shared drive, writing KS5 SoWs and linking them to resources, planning KS5 tests and mocks, contributing to these for KS3 and 4... Those with year 12 classes wrote things towards references. I also visited next year's Year 7 students, and saw Year 10s on work experience. Plus helping my form prepare a drama as part of an annual competition, which included after school rehearsals. I never found myself with nothing useful to do.

Until I had been teaching for about 7 years, I used the summer to learn new A level modules (about 12 of them in total) and two IB courses. And I voluntarily went in on results days to help, advise students whose results were not as good as hoped and to talk to and often say goodbye to my students. Actually, it wasn't exactly voluntary when Mrs Piranha was the EO!

Startedin82 likes this.
  10. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

This will be an interesting one and one for my GB to sort out. It's quite correct that as per the BB I can be asked to work until the 30th April as an Easter leaver. I'm quite prepared to do that (although I would prefer the clean break at the end of the spring term obviously). In my LA the summer term will begin on Tuesday 23rd April and my last working day will be Tuesday 30th April - a week into the term. However, I'm a HT and I really don't think that my successor, who will presumably start at the beginning of term, will want me around! We'll see what the GB, in consultation with the LA, come up with.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I guess that is quite likely. Perhaps the new Head would have something to say about it, and I guess the GB and LA might listen to them. In any event, if the new Head is in place, and you are asked to work, it should be a pretty stress free week!

Startedin82 likes this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

A possible compromise suggestion would be that you are available by phone that week or go in for a couple of meetings to support the head/explain the budget etc or work at home on something that would benefit the school such as updating documents. This would still let you have your big goodbye at the end of term. Hopefully they will say ‘Don’t be silly Startedin82, go and enjoy the start of your retirement.’

Startedin82 and Piranha like this.
  13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, being available to help with the transition might be a good thing, especially if you can arrange to go in on some days and not on others. Perhaps suggesting something along these lines would get you somewhere. Good luck!

Startedin82 likes this.
  14. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Think of all the new school year organisational stuff you would avoid by leaving at Easter. Many incoming heads would probably welcome starting then as it means they can use the summer term to get to know current staff and systems and make any changes they want ready to start the new academic year.

Startedin82 likes this.
  15. Startedin82

Well the deed is done! I have been to see my Chair of Governors earlier on today and given my notice of resignation with effect 30th April 2019. She was very grateful that I wasn't leaving at Christmas as this would potentially cause problems for the school. Had a nice chat with her.

Tomorrow is the first day of the school year and I will tell staff at the staff meeting. Then tell the children on Wednesday and write to parents.

Doubts begin to seep in. I know that I've made the right decision but then I wonder have I? Natural I suppose.

16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Yay
    :D:D:D:D

Startedin82 likes this.
  17. Sundaytrekker

Well done, Startedin82. Yes, it’s natural to feel a bit like that but you will enjoy the last time you have to do things. You might choose to take up some part time opportunities as others have.

Piranha and Startedin82 like this.
  18. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

You made a decision. So often, failing to make a decision has equally decisive effects and greater regrets. Well done and good luck!

Startedin82 and Piranha like this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Natural perhaps, but from your posts so far, you have made the right decision. One piece of advice would be to plan a holiday for sometime in May. Mrs P and I celebrated my retirement by going to China for our 30th anniversary in September, and it is nice to have something to look forward to when you would otherwise be starting a new term.

smoothnewt and Startedin82 like this.
  20. Startedin82

Two days to go until I finish - 2 holidays booked (Berlin in May and Lake Garda in July) next term. Bit of work lined up. Might have a slight wobble on Friday but very much looking forward to finishing! Happy days!