1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement at Easter

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Startedin82, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Having decided to retire next summer I am seriously considering going next Easter at my 59th birthday instead. ARB is quite small with one year before NRA. Finding the job (primary Head) increasingly stressful and there are other things I want to do! I know there are issues with the end date (as per Burgundy Book you are paid until 30th April but the summer term for us begins 23rd April - technically would have to go back for that last week after the Easter hols?).

Anyone else retire/leave at Easter?

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Hi 82.

Just thinking (please ignore if not appropriate). If you retire at ‘Easter’ you’re paid up to when you retire.

Retire at the end of August and you get paid 4 more months for just 2.5 months more work.

There may be good reasons for wanting to go at the end of April, but for me it’d have to be pretty big to throw a third of a year’s salary away.

phlogiston and Startedin82 like this.
  3. LadyForlorn

LadyForlorn New commenter

I can fully understand why you’d want to go at Easter. I’ve got a child in Year 6 and my closest friend is an AHT/Year 6 teacher. The run up to SATs has been awful, and I can only imagine how hideous it must be for primary SLT.

In addition, the ‘decent’ weather seems to start about Easter and miraculously disappears at 2pm on the last day of the summer term. Retiring just before the summer term would be perfect.

You’d also be able to benefit from a really good term-time summer break next year, at bargain-basement price. I had a friend who left teaching at Easter last year. Colleagues thought she was mad missing the summer’s pay but she was planning a big trip to the USA and the money she saved on flights just about covered her pay (although she was part time and on MPS).

If you don’t mind losing out on the money then go for it. You only live once.

Startedin82 likes this.
  4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I think this question is more about psychology than about finance. Once you have made your mind up to go, and have an end date, you can react in two ways. You can either feel that the pressure is off and focus on the job, knowing that there is that light at the end of the tunnel. Alternatively, that plod to the end can seem interminable and you resent every second of the job. It really all depends when you set the end point. It sounds to me as if you have had enough . My advice would be to leave this Christmas. Six months is manageable once you have made your mind up to go. Another year and a bit is too long.
    A lot of the pressure as a HoD , as I was, came from SLT scrutiny and the pressure of getting results and I found that this reduced in my last term and a half. As a headteacher, the pressure is intrinsic to the job and harder to alleviate.
    The financial implications will be marginal. Think about the school too...You can set things up for a smooth handover in January. It all boils down to how you want to finish your career...hating every minute or winding things up in a balanced way?

5. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

I think that is all depends on the timing of those wonderful other things.

As a poor, overworked HOD I would be very reluctant to lose the relatively easy summer term and summer holiday pay and pension contributions, having suffered the stress and hard work of the autumn term. And surely seeing the year out will be smoother on the school (although that would be low on my list of concerns). If, on the other hand, money wasn't an issue, I would have stopped this summer.

Lara mfl 05 and Startedin82 like this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That would be true of me (unpromoted,part-time) teacher too.

7. Startedin82

There is no relatively easier summer term in primary schools unfortunately. It's the same as the other 2 terms right up until 3.25 pm on the last day. If anything it gets harder - year 6 about to go to secondary flexing their muscles a bit.

8. Startedin82

I can see where you are coming from @PeterQuint but if you retire you are not throwing salary away - you've made the decision not to work. Instead you are claiming pension. Having read previous posts of yours this post of yours seems to run counter to what you have written before.

PeterQuint and catmother like this.
  9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I retired end of August as I wanted to enjoy the last 'paid' Summer holiday.
    Once I had given notice that I was taking ARB I found life so much better.
    I actually gave this notice second week of September.
    There is nothing to prevent you giving your CoG notice to retire with effect from 31 August 2019 now.
    Have now been retired almost 4 years and absolutely no regrets.

10. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

....yet they are so nice when they get to us!

It sounds to me like you've thought it all through thoroughly and made your plans. (It would be nice to know a bit about how they turn out.) So, go for it! You need to decide now how you will react if asked to stay for the remainder of the year....

11. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I missed the bit about you being in primary.

I’ve no criticism at all of your logic, I was just offering an alternative view.

For myself, I’ve said for quite a few years now that, once you know you’re going, most teachers say they find the pressure comes off.

But I appreciate that won’t be the case for everyone.

Good luck with whatever you decide. My one further piece of advice would be treat yourself to a cheap, term time holiday in late May or June (after Spring Bank).

Startedin82 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree with this. There is no winding down in the summer term. Indeed, I always called it the ‘silly season’ for complaints.

Put April 30 th for your retirement date and they won’t ask you to come back. You can say you’ve a holiday booked if questioned. I once had a deputy leave on April 30th. We had to pay their salary and the new teacher for that month. HR said we couldn’t query it. They had left the country!

digoryvenn and Startedin82 like this.
  13. BELLACJ

BELLACJ New commenter

Startedin82, I am finishing in 4 and a half weeks time and as I lose the will to live writing reports I can totally see your logic of going at Easter! Since Easter we have had KS1 SAT’s and marking, moderation meetings, more moderation meetings, external moderation, data, data and more data to input, the aforementioned reports, transition meetings looming etc etc and a full teaching timetable till the bitter end! No let up in Primary! As a class teacher I wanted to see the year through with my class but an Easter escape would definitely have had it’s plus points!

14. Startedin82

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

I've decided to retire next Easter aged 59. I am going to give my Chair of Governors (I'm a Head) my resignation letter in September and tell staff at the initial staff meeting in September and also write to parents. Feel great.

Will have done 36 years and 2 terms full time. I will have a good pension.

I've done the maths and even if I take my pension straightaway the reduction over time is tiny. I worked it out to age 88 - which is the age my father lived to (I might live longer or less long!) and it's not a huge reduction including the LS by taking a year early.

I should point out that I intend to carry on working part time - consultancy etc.

My wife who is 2 years younger than me and also a teacher intends to do at least one more year part time.

I've just had it with the daily grind. I've achieved much of what I wanted to achieve. I feel as though there is a whole world out there to explore!

15. Steve5737

Steve5737 New commenter

I retired at Easter 18 (also HT) at 55. I had got used to Summer being 6 weeks. During those weeks I would frequently have to be at school...building work etc. For the first time since I was a child I have felt the length of a Summer....with heatwave too! Am still working, would hate not to be...2 days per week. Consultancy work has also come my way although I never had intention of doing that.

Money? You cut your cloth. Petrol costs right down. Only use 2 shirts per week.

Love it

16. Sundaytrekker

Well done, @Startedin82 . With that number of years of service your pension should be fine and don’t even think about the one year reduction. Once the decision has been made the daily grind is psychologically a little easier. Easter will be fine with the long summer to look forward to. If you can pick and choose some additional work then that is the best of both worlds.

Steve5737, what a summer to choose! I agree that you can enjoy the seasons more rather than just the school holidays.

Startedin82 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Startedin82

@Steve5737 - did you have to go back to school to work until 30 April as per Burgundy Book or did you leave on the last day of the spring term? Thanks.

18. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck with your retirement!

19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, but they just got it wrong. Under the Burgundy Book, the leaving date would be 30 April, and the school can expect you to work until then. It might well be possible to negotiate an earlier leaving date, but there is no reason to expect that you will be paid until 30 April unless you work until then. Booking (or pretending you have booked) a holiday makes no difference. Of course, you might be at a generous school, but it would be their decision not yours.

20. Sundaytrekker

Well, that wasn’t what I was told at the time. We were a small school, strapped for cash, and I really couldn’t afford to pay the extra month. I was told there was nothing I could do about it.