1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement age - what changes are there for teachers in their mid- forties ?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by wzyszy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Currently I am happy teaching & have no plans to leave the profession but I am confused as to when I can qualify for a Teachers pension as I understand the new changes have raised the retirement age - Is it true that as a 45 year old I will now not be able to recieve a full Teachers Pension till I am 62 and that my State Pension will not be paid till I am 68?

2. If you were in TP on 31st Dec 2006 you are in the old scheme with a normal retirement age of 60. If you joined after the NRA is 65.
    At the moment I expect your State Pension would be due when you are 66. You can check this by putting in your date of birth onto;
    http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/state-pension-age-calculator?

3. I am 62 and have been thinking about retiring. I still enjoy the job and know I will feel slightly lost without it as I qualified when I was 21. The life change will be enormous for me. While walking in the Lakes I decided on July '16. I will be 64 nearly 65. Enough is enough I guess. I don't want to be doddery in the classroom! Plan to go to the lakes for a the whole month of September to try to break the rhythm of the academic year. Will never step into a school again after that (except perhaps to collect the grandchildren)

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done for making it this far.

Good luck with your plans

P

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

There's nothing like a plan. Good luck . Expect it to take a couple of years to work your way into the new life.