1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retired teachers..your country needs you

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by eljefeb90, Apr 26, 2020.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

2. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

There is some confusion here of the volunteer programme, and the actual call for qualified former nurses and doctors to return to work: qualified doctors and nurses were paid if employed when recalled. It looks as if , as usual, the teaching profession is being seen as inferior and based on the goodwill of professionals.

3. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

No

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Retired teachers should work for free offering themselves as unpaid tutors as the cost in extra deaths to older teachers is negligible.
    Fixed it for him. Doesn’t sound that appealing to be honest. Whilst retired doctors were actively reducing the curve (capacity in NHS against need), teachers teaching children in a norm referenced system - well, who is to tell him that the bottom 30% fail regardless of any efforts whatsoever.

5. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

6. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

My response:

Good to see an MP has realised that a job needs to be done.

Now here's an interesting idea...if a job needs to be done and you don't want to do it yourself...PAY someone to do it.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Hahahahahaha... Um, let me think about your kind offer....How about: 'NO - not in a million years'??

8. eljefeb90

Yes, it's the classic exploitation of teachers' willingness to ' go the extra mile'; ' to do it for the children'. But there is a new slant on that you will be exposing yourself , and your family, to a classic breeding ground for all types of infection, namely schools. I can't see schools strictly adhering to social distancing and door handles, hand rails and the general school environment are pretty filthy at the best of times. Narrow corridors, lesson changeovers, 30 odd kids in a classroom. I can't see lots of current staff who would be willing or able to work in these conditions with the virus still lurking out there, never mind retired staff.
    Anyhow, aren't retired teachers , by definition, older? Our immune systems inevitably weaken as we age, as Covid has tragically shown.
    I really can't see many people taking up Mr. Halfon's frankly insulting suggestion.

9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Perhaps Mr Haffron could organise the belt of 1000 stitches?

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I decided a couple of years ago that I couldn’t return to paid teaching work because I reckon it'd be less than one day before I told someone, what I thought of their ********.

Either a pupil because of their behaviour
    or a LM/SLT because of some ridiculous policy.

Actually probably both just a question in which order

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Does he mean go back to teaching for free?
    Hard "no" from me.

12. letap

letap Occasional commenter

The thread title is missing two words at the end: to die.
    It is well established that older people are at higher risk.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

His comparison with the NHS is disingenuous to say the least, if not downright dishonest

upload_2020-4-27_16-4-5.png

The NHS volunteers are people with no previous medical training or expertise volunteering to do jobs that did not involve treating patients or doing anything requiring medical skills or judgement. They are unpaid.

The retired medical NHS professionals, doctors and nurses, were re-employed by the NHS and put back on payroll and paid a professional's salary.

So Halfon's call to retired teachers to volunteer unpaid is nothing like the NHS situation! He wants them to carry out tasks involving a teacher's professional skill and judgement. If he really meant what he says retired teachers should be offered pay to scale to come back for a fixed term.

14. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Have to say the idea is ridiculous...Rott Weiler sums it up perfectly!
    Interesting that this thread is probably the busiest one for weeks - lots of responses in a short time.
    Personally, I wouldn't go back unless I was paid at a rate considerably higher than when I left.
    I've volunteered to be an NHS helper. No way would I "teach" for free - the government had more than enough "bang for their buck" from me when I WAS working. Am sure many other ex teachers feel the same:)

Jamvic, ShowerGel, tall tales and 4 others like this.
  15. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Even if the Government agreed that going back to work in a school would not affect my ill health pension, the answer would still be no. No. NO.

phlogiston likes this.
  16. maz403

maz403 New commenter

Not a chance !

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Some retired staff I know might, if they returned things to how they were when such teachers started their career...respect being a given. Not having the humilation of being 'observed', often by those less qualified and experienced. Heads who actively supported staff and helped deal with children who misbehaved. Actually, they might feel as I do-not unless PPE was provided for all (children can die of it; people of all ages can have health problems which make them as vulnerable as older teachers are)and it was made practicable to keep people 2m apart (and even if you only let 20% of the school attend, and gave children full PPE, I don't see how you can enforce it for sure).

18. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

What an ill thought out piece of nonsense.

19. eljefeb90

Spot on, @Treacle3 . I saw it as a red rag to a bull.
    Unless my experience was atypical, every school I taught in contained a significant number of pupils who were disruptive or had emotional / behavioural problems and a few who were downright malicious. I can just see the same kids coughing or spitting on others or licking their hands and smearing handles or other people's property. " Miss/Sir, Jordan just coughed at me ! " / " Jamie licked his fingers and touched my pen.. "
    Then, of course, there will be the children who are asymptomatic who inadvertently spread the disease. And this is in a secondary school setting. Colleagues in primaries and, of course, special schools, will be far more exposed.

20. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Coronavirus has given a new persepctive to many things.

The experienced teachers who were obliged to end their careers early having been forced out on capability to save money, now find themselves in relative safety, not being expected to go to school to provide that 'essential' child minding service necessary to protect the economy.