1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retired and starting Tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by S1a3t5u7r9n, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@doctoryes: I live in NW London, and my experience of tutoring, and of Tutor Hunt, is similar to yours. Just a look at the list of would-be tutors on the Tutor Hunt site shows you that, as @David Getling put it so pithily, "Everyone and his dog thinks they can be a tutor!"

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Jolly Roger, what amazes me is the sheer greed of some wannabe tutors. A quick glance at some near me shows a dentist and an accountant: both of these should be earning decent salaries.

Even worse are those who claim to be HODs. As well as having a decent salary these people really shouldn't have the time to spare tutoring if they are doing their day job properly.

And the worst of the worst are the ones who are clearly lying through their teeth. Their qualifications are unverified, which isn't surprising as they got them abroad from unlikely sounding institutions, and what they say they have down sounds even less plausible.

But if you are parent looking for someone cheap who will come to your home then I guess that you don't ask too many questions.

3. Regina_DV

Regina_DV New commenter

Thanks, that's a good piece of advice and very encouraging. I'd like to become a private tutor myself, tired from teaching large classes.

4. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Well an update from me.
    Not a single enquiry
    Do you think that I have advertised myself as recentyretired with excellent ( checkable ) results puts people off? Well

5. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Maybe try yell.com? Its the online version of the yellow pages. the home page very clearly shows you where to click to advertise and then takes you through the steps to setup your advert. It is free and I have had some people find me that way. In the description write something about initial assessment of level and the use of past paper questions to diagnose areas of weakness and how you use multiple methods to explain concepts. Maybe don't mention you are retired but "experienced teacher with QTS and DBS a degree from ...... " may work better as parents often ask what schools i have taught in. Then get some ex students or ex colleagues to give you a review or two.

NW london and SE Herts - no problem with finding students for science. I used the local freebie magazine to advertise in when i started which netted me most of my students.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Any sensibly parent will not have left it so late in the year to find a tutor for examined subjects so perhaps things will improve with time due to seasonality, I guess it can be fairly unpredictable until you get started and begin to get receive referrals via word of mouth. It is quite possible that after a year or two you will have a waiting list and be turning people away.

7. David Getling

Then there must be an awful lot of stupid parents (or students), because it's about now (every year) that things get a lot busier for me. But maybe it's sheer meanness rather than stupidity. I suspect that many parents don't want to prise open their wallets until they see some bad grades in mock exams.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Yes family finances and lifestyle choices impact and I guess much would depend on how bad the grades are and to what extent its a life changing situation.

I wouldn't call it stupidity some families have no experience of tutoring and many students will only require support with revision so if you can turn them around in a few months they will be happy. Turning an A'level grade D/E to an A or B may take a tad longer than turning a B into an A, so each case is different. While some college students feel quite insecure with being expected to work independently and will seek help a bit earlier.

My point was to reassure the OP that things may change for them for a variety of reasons, not to label anyone as stupid.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. David Getling

This brought a smile to my face. The OP may well get quite a few enquiries of exactly this sort in a few months time. Perhaps they will be welcome, but personally I never take on students who have such unrealistic expectations (and questionable work ethic) as expecting to go from a bottom to a top grade in just a few weeks.

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I wondered if you've had any more luck now in finding students. I've never found age to be a problem. I'm 68 and have more students than I really want. The hard bit is getting started. Once you have a few students you should get more from word of mouth.

Piranha and needabreak like this.