1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retired and starting Tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by S1a3t5u7r9n, Dec 27, 2017.

1. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Just wanted some advice if possible

I want to start Maths Tutoring in the New Year.
    I am retired and would not want to use my previous school contacts as it would involve excess travel.
    I have joined Tutor Hunt
    Not yet had any leads.
    I have provided all details apart from CBS as I am now retired

Any help to get some students would be helpful

2. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Try FirstTutors, of the two of them I've had considerably more work through them than Tutor Hunt. Some recommend Tutor Pages but I haven't tried them.

3. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I've had lots of leads via my Facebook page and my own website. I bought a domain name and put together a simple website then bought decals for my car with my website on which has generated a lot of business. Facebook business pages are free.

I also registered with tutor hunt, first tutors, childcare.co.uk. I've had one student through tutor hunt, everything else has been through word of mouth or my web presence.

Ive been tutoring alongside part time teaching for just over 2 years now I've got a waiting list of 10 for September and bookings up to 2020 so it is possible to build up a reasonable amount of clients with little or no cost. I'm
    Considering paying to advertise in the local Parrish magazine if necessary.

I got my DBS through a supply network and signed up for the online update service too. Don't forget public liability and possibly professional indemnity insurance if you're working from home.

Regina_DV likes this.
  4. HJFe

HJFe New commenter

I can also endorse First Tutors - I have had as many students as I can cope with through them. I imagine you will start getting enquiries as soon as new year is over as students start realising how close their mocks are.

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I am with Tutor Hunt and have got quite a few students through them, although I get most of my students through word of mouth. I am in south east London where there is great demand for tutors, I think probably less so outside London and the south east. Once you get established you should get students by word of mouth but it takes a while.

6. S1a3t5u7r9n

Thanks for your advice.
    I will look at First tutors

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I registered with tutor hunt, first tutors, childcare.co.uk, fleet tutors, and a few others. Only through Tutor Hunt have I had any students. How many seems to depend on the area in which you live. I was interested to see that @gainly gets plenty of students in SE London, as this is not the case in NW London, where I live. Around me, too many would-be tutors are trying to get in on the act. If you look at the list of available tutors on Tutor Hunt, for example, you will see a whole gamut from qualified and experienced teachers to university students, the latter offering tuition for rock bottom rates.

8. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Jolly, I can echo your comments about the wannabes in my area too: Enfield. What truly amazes me is that you would think a read of their profile would lead any sensible parent to pass most of them over. But, for most, rock bottom rates reign supreme. In fact, I'd guess that most don't even read the profile. To many parents getting a tutor is a bit like buying a pint of milk, with the only consideration being its cost.

Another thing the OP really needs to be aware of is the staggering laziness of most students, who expect everything handed to them on a plate. In particular this means that the vast majority won't even spend a few minutes travelling to their tutor. If you aren't prepared to travel to students' homes then the most students (older ones included) won't consider you, no matter how good or well qualified you are.

needabreak and Piranha like this.
  9. S1a3t5u7r9n

Thanks Jolly
    I am a East London based ex Maths teacher.
    I have checked the other tutors in my area and there are millions
    Luckily financially I do need the tutoring but it is more to retain my sanity.

I will wait and see what happens in the new year

10. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I currently have 5 students who came via Tutor Hunt.

I also have a small number through a tutoring agency. They take a cut for each lesson, this might be a way to get started but don't expect a lot of work from them. They will probably want you to have DBS and can arrange this, though no one has ever asked me for this.

Most of my students come from recommendations from students and parents but I realise that doesn't help when you are starting out. It took me 2 or 3 years to become established so don't expect too much to begin with. When I started, I got quite a lot of students by advertising in the local free newspaper, but I don't think that would work now.

You are likely to get a lot more work if you are willing to travel to the students rather than expecting them to come to you, Don't try to compete with those offering rock bottom rates. You don't want students who only pick you because you are cheap.

12. Jolly_Roger1

It seems that many students, and their parents, do not think that education is an interactive process but something that someone does to you while they wait, like getting a tyre changed at Quick Fit. They seem to think that just 'getting a tutor' will be a transformative act in itself, so why pay more than you need to?

needabreak, saluki and langteacher like this.
  13. S1a3t5u7r9n

Well as the Christmas and New year break comes to an end let’s hope the odd student pops up that needs help. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Maths was a shortage subject, Or may be not for Tutors??
    Perhaps my age puts them off.
    Well Lidl here I come

14. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Maths is a shortage subject, but every man and his dog seem to think they can teach it. And, like the schools, most parents will not accept that some maths teachers/tutors are vastly better than others: which makes them much more comfortable just choosing the cheapest.

Does age matter? I really couldn't say whether it affects choice of tutor, but as ageism is endemic in the UK I'd be surprised if it didn't. Also, from school experience, I'd imagine that most students know that an older tutor is much less likely to spoon feed them and put up with any nonsense.

15. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I haven't found age to be a problem, at least not yet. There are plenty of other threads on here giving suggestions about ways of obtaining students, such as creating your own website, setting up a Facebook page and contacting local schools. I'm sure once you get established you'll find there is plenty of work.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Follow the example of Ronald Reagan and make a virtue of your age and experience

17. S1a3t5u7r9n

Thanks to everybody
    Love the Regan video and will use that approach if I need to.
    Not confident on Facebook or Website so will just have to wait and see what develops.
    I contacted local schools but zero response

18. Jolly_Roger1

Age might be a factor that parents take into consideration. You would not know if a parent had decided not to contact you when they saw your age, on your profile. I have seen parents advertising on Tutor Hunt, looking for someone 'young and enthusiastic who can make the subject interesting'.

19. Tinkerbell502

Tinkerbell502 New commenter

I'm in Kent. I've had 70 requests from First Tutors in 18 months and currently have 10 students a week.
    No commission taken from my income and I set my own terms and conditions.

20. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I have no idea how good it will be at finding you work, but I have received an email today from mathsmadeeasy.co.uk saying that they are desperate for new maths tutors. hope this helps somebody.
    I have had tutees via tutorhunt in the past but have just left as there were too many timewasters. In my area there are lots of uni students offering tuition at rock-bottom prices!
    There are some parents that value experience though - it's just a question of finding them!