1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resume' - Same as CV?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Woollyhoolly, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Vacancies at an American Int School just popped up and they are asking for a resume'... now, should I organise it the same way as a CV and would I include a covering letter too? (the resume's i have found online are all very short and on one page with only bullet points and do not include a lot of detail, so I assume covering letter is crucial....?)

2. Does the job description not include details of how to apply beyond submitting a resume?
    A resume is generally 2 sides of A4 maximum. Include a cover letter to better address the job description and you can include a note at the bottom of your resume indicating that references are available upon request.
    I don't know the difference between a CV and a resume- apart from the spelling.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

My impression is that the difference between resume and CV is the same as the difference between petrol and gasoline. Having said that, I gather that in the US (which I assume is where you are applying) resumes are generally expected to be a little more concise. However, this is a small detail that probably won't matter - if it does then the school probably isn't a particularly enjoyable place to be in.

4. That's pretty much spot on generally a CV is the same as a resume although in some places a resume is considered as a quick one pager while a CV can be upto 20 pages long !!!
    Generally around the world though there is very little difference and a CV should be about 2 pages long. Make sure you use a professionally designed CV Template which contains all the relevant sections. Click here to see a few examples.Although not essential you can create an online CV too but as a teacher this will probably only help to land you an interview if your subject is ICT !!!