1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Results nerves.....countdown begins

Discussion in 'English' started by englishtt06, Aug 10, 2017.

1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Anyone else feeling decidedly nauseous thinking about A Level results next week and then the GCSEs the following week? I know this happens every year but this year I am all at sea (as is everyone else) because of the new specifications at both stages.... since no one knows what the grades look like, I can't do my usual 'worst case/best case' scenarios in my head! I went for a relaxing swim this morning but realised at the end that I'd spent most of it totting up grades/numbers in my head and then was anything but relaxed.....

install and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

GCSE results day is two days before I get married and so, I am trying to focus on flowers & things rather than how 11A did - however, it's not working. We did the PiXL Curve and the results the students achieved were in line with our 'predictions' of course, that was with very low boundaries! I am dreading results day this year!

install, Mrsmumbles and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Oh snail....

Best wishes for a wonderful wedding day. Put the results out of your mind and focus on your enjoying getting ready for your big day. No point in worrying about something you can't do anything about.

install likes this.
  4. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Thanks Pepper - tbh it's all planned & as long as the weather behaves all will bE perfect :)

install, pepper5 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

This is exactly why I have quit teaching in a school. The relentless mind-mongering and manipulation of teacher guilt is now at Massive Exploitation Levels! Look, at the end of the day it's their stuff up for not working hard enough with a bit of government blame for devastating and mangling upnthe entire system. Fretting and worrying yourselves about it when you really need to relax and Get On With This Precious And Far Too Taken For Granted Thing Called Life is frankly ridiculous. I assure you that the kids and DFEE goons will not be worrying, so why should teachers?! You only get one wedding, one proper yearly break...do not let the toxin of stress destroy it all! I tutor now and am awaiting the GCSE results for a lovely student who was treated abysmally badly by her crud academy, had severe mental health issues at the time and was edged out rather than supported. In fact the academy caused most of the issues. This place has done it before with other kids and it enrages me that I cannot name and shame. BUT: she put it behind her. Had four months to cover two GCSES. I think she did it and will prove her true worth to herself and the scum academy Principal his 'worth.' I should be stressed as so much rides in her results. But I know she will get them. I just do. Because as soon as she left that toxic school environment she could concentrate and work productively again. I'm actually excited as to go from exclusion to a level seven or up in a few months of study...well it would be amazing, wouldn't it? Life is so much bigger and messier than results alone. And if capability is the background fear...well, I'm prettyy much convinced that this is pre planned for the marked out teachers a term or two ahead anyway.....still lots of time to escape!

6. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I have spent the last three weeks alternating between sheer panic and trying to talk myself out of wasting time panicking. My Year 11s really didn't work hard enough and a fair few of them failed to understand that they need to outperform a large percentage of other students to get a pass grade. Our results over the past few years have been distinctly average and I'm anticipating a drop with the new GCSEs. I feel like I have a target on my back.

Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi secretsiren

You can only do your best.

If you encouraged your students to work hard and they didn't, and the resuikt is thst they failed to get the mark they wanted, then they have to accept that they didn't put enough effort in. You can't take the exam for them.

install and secretsiren like this.
  8. pianopete

pianopete New commenter

I'm trying not to think about it and I'd advise everyone else to do the same (easier said than done I know). I've never been through a spec change before but I'm hoping "it's a new spec... we had limited help from AQA... we had no idea what grade boundaries were" and all the other things are my get-out-of-jail-free cards this year - I've certainly been sounding that trumpet for the 2 years we've been teaching them! That said, I"m confident in the quality our teaching, so hopefully the results will be good! The only thing that might shoot us down is predictions - but with minuscule grade boundary advice I don't see what else we could do but guess, and guess high!

install likes this.
  9. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Logically I know that. However, given the amount of revision material the children had and the amount of boosters, revision sessions etc. that were offered and then the fact that a child asked me the morning of the exam about how long to spend on Section A, I am not confident at all. And unfortunately, my Head has not grasped the fact that this is a new spec and therefore everything's likely to be different from how we predicted. I was still arguing about our 'predictions' in May, despite having said for two years that these are not predictions but wild guesses. I was still being 'held accountable' (a lovely euphemism for being b*llocked) for the poor predictions.

Mrsmumbles, install and pepper5 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

secretsiren

I know what you are saying - it's the blame game. Everyone will blame he teachers apart from those who should be blamed: The Government.

The changes to the way English is taught and assessed have not been thought out properly and no doubt when the results come out and there are a lot of angry parents, the Government will make yet more changes.

Let us hope your classes did better than you think.

All you can do now is do as pianopete suggests and not think about it.

Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Maybe start seriously considering jacking it all in and teaching appreciative kids online! You are obviously a very able and clever teacher with so much 'marketable' knowledge. Let's be honest, the amounts of crass stupidity in both school SLT teams and government is staggering. Bypass the eejits! The world is a rich and varied place. Sady, many schools these days are not. These days, when I have a rude, lazy or utterly unteachable private tutee, I boot them out. The next week, another one from the waiting list slots in.Free at last, free at last, thank God I'm free at last!

12. Mrsmumbles

If that's the case then start setting up your Plan B. You're fighting the English Culture of Thickness Being Cool. I feel that many of today's students are bone idle and lazy book-o-phobes who assume (depressingly correctly) that Teacher will do it all for them because if Teacher doesn't, Teacher gets blamed/slapped on capability/made ill with stress/made to feel inadequate wen in truth they are holding together a near-impossible slave-level job which the Torys have systematically deprofessionalised. Having spent many of my Uni days supplementing the full grant by working as a cleaner, waitress and shop girl, I am starting to see that these jobs actually protected their staff better than schools do now. Working conditions in schools should really be illegal now, but somehow, they're not. As with doctors, it suits the Tories to grind down their public sector staff. Many independent schools are also following suit and things will only get worse, I fear. There's another reason to get out soon, if you're aged over 35. It ain't a lie-long career any more. Many of us will need to set up private pension plans to cover the next 20 years before we can give up work. As teachers, we didn't pay in as much to the state pension. You don't want to leave it to 50, face 'redundancy' then, and a financial back hole. Tutoring is rewarding, once you get established.

13. Mrsmumbles

Bang on about yet MORE face-slappingly irritating Tory 'Curriculum improvements' in the offing..

14. Mrsmumbles

Give that one time! Bring back controlled 'assessment'!!!

15. joanne.sedgley

joanne.sedgley New commenter

Anyone had a nightmare with AQA AS Literature results?