1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Results in job share classes

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Louise1612, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Louise1612

Louise1612 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm very sorry to gatecrash the headteachers area, but I need some advice. I'm a primary school teacher and have applied to change from full time to part time following maternity leave. There is another teacher returning at the same time who has also requested the same and our requests match exactly. We've just found out we've been refused. They've said the reason is that results are lower in job share classes so will cause a deterioration in results. We only have one job share in school so there's limited internal data, but all the data I've found nationally says that there is no evidence that job shares get lower results.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you find that job share classes get lower results? Do they have a negative impact on pupils? With the government drive towards more flexible working I'm genuinely interested to see what the general opinion is towards job share classes.

Many thanks

2. J_bird11

J_bird11 New commenter

Hi,

Job shares can be a bit of a nightmare for heads. They cost more and it's a gamble as to whether they will work or not. Job shares can be refused if the govs/head feel it will be detrimental to the school in any way - results, financial, organisation etc

I have many job shares at my school and have encouraged governors to support this as it helps to retain some excellent teachers, however they aren't perfect for the reasons stated above.

Personally, I don't think they have an effect on results - it's the same gamble on any teacher; some are better than others. It's not ideal for you but you are entitled to appeal and they have to consider flexible working requests very carefully - hope that helps.

Good luck.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

4. Louise1612

Louise1612 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. We are appealing and have spoken to the unions. Frustratingly we had the two highest performing classes 3 years running, so we know we can make a job share successful. I think they’re just hoping they can keep us where we are but I know I can’t juggle full time work.
    I’ve been trying desperately to find national data to show job shares don’t get lower results. All the publications state that they don’t have a negative impact on progress but I can’t find the actual data anywhere

5. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I am a jobshare Y6 teacher with a reputation for excellent results. I don't think I could do as good a job if I were full time as my day off helps my sanity and my jobshare is an excellent teacher).

6. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

In my experience, weak teaching gets weaker results, full time or job share.

The risk with job share is one stronger and one weaker teacher or two weak teachers. In my experience, two weak teachers leads to the weakest outcomes in the school, weaker than a weak full time teacher. A mixed job share outcomes comparison depends on teaching profile of school. A strong job share will be win win for outcomes. However if losing two strong teachers to teach one class of course would be a loss to another class! I’d imagine that’s the HT’s rationale if you’re both great teachers. However, I’d agree it to keep you both, if no additional financial cost to the school.

The most successful job shares I’ve seen were when teachers communicated agreed of the handover. However, this took a lot of their own time. I’ve been in schools where we’ve supported this, but it cost an extra day a week. That’s a lot for a school budget and puts three teachers (PPA one) in the mix for the children.

The weakest I’ve seen would put anyone off agreeing to flexible working. However, that’s not where schools are with policy!

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I did a job share for a few years. We were both good, experienced teachers. The class benefited from having us, as we both had different strengths. The head got more than her money's worth out of us! A warning-you inevitably end up doing more than your part time hours though.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Purely anecdotally, I would agree with the observation that outcomes from classes with jobs-shares are generally poorer than those with full time teachers.

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It's time someone did some decent research, really. Difficult, though, because as starlightexpress says, so much depends on the quality of the individual teachers. I wonder how often the strong/strong combination actually happens - if there are any weaker part-timers elsewhere, I can imagine the tendency is to change the pairings.

Back in the 1970s, there was a jobshare pair in my primary. I don't know what they were like, except that when a new deputy head started, they split them and they each shared a class with the deputy...