1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Results from January. Especially AQA but interested in all boards and any language !

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by whyamidoingthis, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Any reaction to today's results? We had some resits in German - two have gone DOWN after a term of A2 study. I don't get it.

2. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Very disappointed with most of ours (GCSE and AS) - I've already started a thread about the GCSEs. Mysterious AS speaking results as well - two candidates who were miles apart in terms of ability in the speaking ended up with the same grade for speaking! Admittedly one was the top end of the grade and the other was at the bottom, but still. I'd have put them at least 2 grades apart, possibly even more.

3. daisytoo

daisytoo New commenter

Our content marks for AQA AS essay in French were shocking! All sailed through the reading/listening but content marks for the essay ranged from 5-11 marks!

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I've had this in the past. With my students, the assumption has sometimes been that merely doing a term's worth of A2 is enough. They have thought that the grade in the summer was the starting point for the January resit and that some token revision would get them an increase of a grade or two. In fact, they start with January resit with nothing and have to score the marks on that paper. There's nothing new in this, and I often compare it to a driving test. You can fail on something the first time you take it, and having mastered that then fail on something else the second time. Each exam paper has to be treated with respect and every mark has to be earned.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

My triple linguist got 32/35 in her German essay, 32/35 in her Spanish essay and... yes, you guessed it, 20/35 in her French essay. She is on a weak A when she should be on a very, very high A. Sick of playing the same charade every time. She dropped just 4 points in the rest of the exam. Unbelievable.

6. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I have no problem with AQA at AS/A2 level - the one resit we had was as expected - it's what the GCSE standard will be like this summer that I'm worried about... With the whole country being examined for the second year - it's a recipe for the standard changing completely.

7. daisytoo

daisytoo New commenter

My resit candidate who got got 5 out of 20 for the content part of the essay is now on a D overall having been expected to get a B. Discussed the content points she had written about after the exam, sounded fine to me! Am going to get all the papers back next week and find out what is going on, as at the moment I getting very worried about the current year 12 doing the exam in May.

8. Completely agree. Not looking forward to it at all. All depends on what OFQUAL has already decided the pass rate will be.