1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Results Experiment - GCSE 2011

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Aug 24, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

I kept this a bit quiet, however in the summer 2011 we entered approx 60 students for both AQA and Edexcel linear papers. Mike did something similar in November. I wasn't expecting what happened really. I do not want to post the summary of results now, but will do tomorrow if people are interested.

2. Am interested! I've heard of others doing similar but not really heard how it went. Thanks

3. My guess is that on AQA they were about half a grade lower. Are you talking higher?

4. I think there should be more transparency of results but whenever I ask for clarification I'm told it's a commercial issue and so can't be divulged.
    I'd really like to see figures saying how many 16 year olds gain a C grade when sitting the foundation paper. This would tell us quickly if this exam is fit for purpose and we may be able to present a strong case to get the three tiered system back. (I'm another supporter of this Mike!)
    I'd also like to see figures published which break down the results according to the awarding bodies. After all we are constantly told that all GCSE exams are the same so the results awarded should have the same spread for each board.

5. pencho

pencho New commenter

ic3g1rl
    With regards to how many 16 year old gain a C grade on foundation paper the man at Edexcel told me it is in the region of 21% to 25% for last 3 years. He didn't seem too concerned telling me!!!

6. Forgive my lack of experience with exam entries - I thought you weren't allowed to enter the same student for the same subject but with different exam boards in the same sitting? And isn't this why they timetable these exams at the same time?

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

This was widely believed to be the case but as long as you are prepared to pay they are not bothered - or at least it is unenforcable.
    However only the best grade counts so you only end up with 1 GCSE (but ofcourse we dont care about that)
    In my experience the results were very similar - one year edexcel was slightly better (especially for D,E and F grades, the next year AQA actually did better.
    I dont really think the exam board matters that much but clearly you are giving then two chances rather than one so probability theory alone suggest your overall passes will increase. With us in meant about 5 pupils (2%) getting agrade C that otherwise wouldnt have done.

8. If Pencho is surprised by the results I would guess that his candidates fared better with AQA.

9. pencho

pencho New commenter

I'm surprised by the fact that if we had only done one paper there could have been a 6%difference, depeding on the board.

10. SIX percent!? You're right to wait until tomorrow - but I'm now on tenterhooks to find out the difference. Please update the thread asap tomorrow Pencho.

11. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I would predict that they did 6% better on edexcel due to the ridiculously low boudaries if we are talking higher.
    Of more interest than individual papers is how many got each grade with each exam board.
    Although care must also be taken - if they had been concentrating on on spec and pratice papers and teachers experience and just double entered that might have an effect

12. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

With us it was a few either why giving in total more c grades but not really suggesting nmay difference in the standards between the boards.
    The students universally said Edexcel was easier but they did not factor the much higher pass mark (referring to the case as it was in past years)

13. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Just wanted to point out the above post about edexcel being easier related to last year!

14. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

We went from Edexcel last year to AQA this year, and our A* - C has gone down 8%.
    Looks lke we'll be back with Edexcel next year !!

Bric

15. pencho

pencho New commenter

I could post this as two way table, but I know that tables don't always format on here, so I will give you the most important features.

<u>57 Y11 students undertook AQA 4306F and Edexcel 1380F. These were all identified as C/D borderline students.</u>

All students were prepared in the same way as far as possible.
    &bull; They followed a set revision scheme after Christmas.
    &bull; Past paper practice was alternated (Edexcel, AQA etc...)

On Monday (day of paper 1) they sat AQA 1st then Edexcel and on Friday (paper 2) they sat Edexcel 1st and then AQA
    • Of the 57 students 14 got a C on AQA <u>and</u> Edexcel
    • 12 students (6.5% of our year group) got a C on Edexcel, but only a D (11) or E(1) on AQA.
    • 3 students (1.6% of our year group) got a D on Edexcel but a C on AQA.
    Teacher did not seem to have much effect. For example students across all groups fell into the above categories.
    I don't want to make any conclusions from this. Although we tried to prepare students in the same way, some things should be noted
    • Although we alternated papers, students and staff spent more time on the Edexcel ones and therefore students were happier working through the Edexcel ones. They found them more user friendly.
    • Although new school to me this year, always have been AQA and same with department members. We did AQA resit Nov.
    The question is of course if they had only done just 1 exam, would the results have been better. I should say that none of the students found doing two exams a stress. They were asked if they wanted to do it and it was not imposed on them.
    I've just going to put the marks into Excel and come up with a correlation coeffecient to see if there is a connection between what they do on Edexcel and what they do on Higher.
    However here is the really interesting fact, if AQA has set their pass grade at 132/200 (instead of 134) and Edexcel has done the same (instead of 131) then the difference between Edexcel and AQA would be down to only 4 students more on Edexcel getting a C than AQA and 1 student performing better of AQA.
    So to conclude. I don't know really. Very interesting experiment. Very happy as it has given us a significant boost to results. What do people think. As Mike says I don't think it is clear cut that Edexcel is the easier exam board. But I'm glad we put in with them along with AQA.

16. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

The key to this is the point you make about practising the board with which teachers/students feel most comfortable. If students, and most staff are used to edexcel, students will almost inevitably end up better prepared for that exam.
    In a similar way, going back to the previous post, changing board is not something to be undertaken lightly. For years we were with OCR. We then changed to edexcel about four years ago. It took a surprisingly long time for staff to adjust to the new board - eg. predicting types of questioning, etc, and it took at least one year cohort going through before we began to reap any real benefit from the change in terms of results. If you are going to change board, do your research carefully, and make sure you know how the new board works.

17. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

To me this proves on thing - entering your C/D borderliners for both boards is definitely worth while.
    In your case it improved your results by at least 1.5%!
    It also (but this is opinion) supports my longmaintained veiw that in general edexcel is "easier" to pass.

18. Were you not worried about entering them for two boards would have a detrimental affect with regards to student's concentration levels with sitting two maths exams in one day? I know you alternated which paper was set first. I'm not critisicing, just very interested.
    I refused to enter a student for AQA module 5 and linear despite her begging. Her module results weren't good enough. Luckily she achieved the C on the linear paper so my decision was correct.

19. We tried something similar with our C/D's only we did modular OCR and linear GCSE. It made quie a difference with our results but neither stood out, some getting C on one board and not the other and vice a versa. Am going to try the Edexcel linear in March next year.