1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Results 2020 not looking good.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Aug 11, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

From what I have read I don't think many of the year 11 students I tutored before lockdown will get a grade 4. Will you be taking any of your old students back to sit exams in Nov?

2. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

What makes you think it will be that bad?

If any of my former Y11/Y13s want tuition for resits I'll be delighted to take them back in the current climate.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I have much less idea than I normally would what grade they are likely to get. I think it's unlikely any will want tuition for resits (well sits actually as it will be their first actual exam) but I'm hoping a couple of year 11s will continue for A level.

I wonder how anyone will do if they do take exams in the autumn. I doubt if many will have done much work since March, so it's hard to see how they will improve their grade.

bramblesarah likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm guessing that those who started private tuition after year 11 mocks will have done so because their mock results were poor. Unless they managed to demonstrate their improvement clearly in school by March, their ranking by the school will probably largely reflect their mock result. The teacher will have had the unenviable task of ranking the "hope they'll get a 4" students, and will have wanted to be as fair and objective as possible. Ranking by mock results is at least objective, and you'd want more evidence to change that than "I know they've got a tutor". With the best will in the world, the teachers may not have that. The tutor may have been going back over earlier topics while the teacher taught the rest of the syllabus, so the teacher wouldn't see any effect. If the tutor has been doing the same topics, the teacher may be unsure whether the improved work is because they've really improved, or because they had a one-to-one session on that topic just before the test.

bramblesarah likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If the same happens as in Scotland, where they have now all been given the teacher estimated grade, there will be a bonanza of high grades. So much for Gove's attempt to stop grade inflation.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’d get them to take a November exam. Chances are they would outhit others in a norm referenced exam. Not sure Johnson will do a Sturgeon, but I don’t know, it’s free electioneering. He can give free grades to kids and they will all like him. Knowing Johnson, that sounds very appealing to him.

CloudsTES likes this.
  7. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

This. All my students were exam year students, there's one who has said they'll be back for the resit (Medicine) if needed, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. It won't cost him anything and will gain him a lot of good will.

(*vom*)

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Going right back to when exams were cancelled, Williamson said they would make sure everyone got the results they needed, not the results they deserved.

lorencanna likes this.
  9. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

If they abandon the standardisation the results this year won't have any authenticity. It may seem an easy move for popularity (like free bikes for fat people) but if Boris follows Sturgeon he will be damaging further the future of these young people. A grade A* from 2020 will be worth about as much as an electric bike to someone trying to lose weight.

lorencanna likes this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

He can’t copy Stugeon. That doesn’t get him good marks. He has to have something different. There will be a review of some sorts though.

lorencanna and CloudsTES like this.
  11. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

'Free bikes for fat people'. Don't :D :D!

12. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

I have one Year 11 who I'm concerned might not get 'past the post' in terms of her English Language exam (and, if not, she would obviously need to retake). It's a shame, because in the few months we worked together, she was improving, from a not ideal starting point, and with a few more weeks tuition, I think she would have been fine (her teacher, luckily, seemed to recognise this beginning of an improvement). If she does need to retake, I'm not sure whether the parents would ask me back - they might think the result is a reflection of tutoring, rather than being in spite of it (which is obviously my point of view..!).

bramblesarah likes this.
  13. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Aha, so my prediction that he would do a Sturgeon, but not the same method was correct! Look at all those happy little sixth formers Johnson. You’ve given all those who got a good mock exam result something to cheer. The lazy ones were probably going to vote labour anyway.

There is no integrity left in this government. We will look back on Johnson and Trump in history as an era of populism.

lorencanna and bramblesarah like this.
  15. bramblesarah

Basically what @frustum said. A lot of my students failed the higher tier Maths exam in their mocks (U) and so were moved to foundation for the 'real thing' which obviously never happened. They will be bottom on the grade 4 rankings. I think my clients understand the improvements of their children (maybe it is easier to see in Maths? ) they would do a practice paper every week the child would be able to answer more questions, with other subjects maybe a assume the student would be answering the questions better.

16. bramblesarah

They came to me after they failed their mock

17. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Ok thanks, I understand now.

The majority of my Y11 Maths students started tuition before the mocks and the three I acquired post-mocks were foundation students although I felt one was capable of taking the higher paper but had taken a lot of (genuine) illness-related absences - the remaining two will probably end up with a 3 via the allocation process.

18. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Hurray good old Boris. A stars all round. Unfortunately given the latest GDP figures and the looming mass unemployment, student prospects look bleak. Those who do get good jobs will be paying off the massive debt the government willfully and unnecessarily ran up over the last few months. As for populism, it is true the people have bought into this lockdown nonsense but once the cost of it becomes apparent and the fact it didn't work in any way, Boris will become the most unpopular PM in history.

19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think we need a new word. What's more shambolic than an omnishambles? All suggestions welcome!

bramblesarah likes this.
  20. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Being able to use the mock result isn't going to help these students.

bramblesarah likes this.