1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Restructuring...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by inthered, Feb 21, 2020.

1. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Anyone know about the restructuring excercise going on in N Lanark and Glasgow today? All FacHeads called in this morning...

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

No, and how do you know it's a restructuring exercise?

3. inthered

I don’t; but FacHeads were dragged in today to HTs and told savings had to be made, one possibility being bigger and fewer Faculties. ASNAs also told they might be in the firing line. Just wondering if someone else had actual facts.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

According to sources in my school in NLC....
    School management posts have to be "streamlined" - ie fewer PTs and as a result an increase in FHs.
    ASNAs to be pooled between schools rather than being allocated to a particular school.

5. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The biggest drain on LA education budgets are salaries, especially teachers so it's no surprise that middle management are in the firing line, although letting a few PTs out the door early is not going to make much of a difference in balancing budgets whilst preserving teacher numbers. At the end of the day we can't afford the education service the public and politicians expect (pretty much the same as with all public services these days) but no-one is willing to ask the hard questions. I suspect after the Holyrood elections next year our salaries will be frozen again, with union approval if accompanied by a reduction to the 190 teaching days.

6. inthered

Ironic this came out on the same day as the headline about kids doing worse at Higher. Mind you, that could be down to the messing about by SQA last year in the wake of the removal of unit assessments. Certainly they made some subjects harder to pass.

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Restructuring took place in a few schools I have worked in. In each case, the net result was fewer teachers, less money spent on salaries. It is no different here.

Sturgeon and Swinney should be ashamed of themselves. The cfe has been disastrous. Teaching multiple courses in the same class is a disgrace and has produced an entirely predictable outcome, poor results.

If the snp government is to be judged on education, it has failed miserably. Time for heads to roll.

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

SNP has made a complete mess of education, I've been saying that for a few years now.

Multi-level teaching took place under 5-14 too, so, personally, I don't see the big deal there: it shouldn't have been done then and it shouldn't be happening now either.

Swinney is clueless, he just doesn't know what he's doing.

They're failing in a few other areas too, eg the Glasgow and Edinburgh hospitals and the ferries.

9. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Yes multi level teaching took place in 5-14 but it was mainly SG f,g,c and higher was in. Different class with maybe int2. They were all doing more or less the same. We now have higher n5 and n4 in the same class and the subjects are completely different. What I teach to n5 is not a watered down higher it is completely different. We also have the genius idea of having S4, 5 and 6 in the same class. Crazy. Add on that that S4 in my school get 5 periods when S5 & 6 get 6 periods and what you have is half your class walk out 1 period a week.

WitchFingers, sicilypat and catmother like this.
  10. moscowbore

11. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

12. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Anyone heard anything else about this restructuring? I asked around last week and there were a lot of FHs, in Glasgow at any rate, who did not attend that meeting?

Anyone else have any info?

13. inthered

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

15. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I've got no brief to defend CfE but that article seems to be comparing apples to oranges. Swinney is praising work in primary schools in selected areas and this is (if I read it right) being juxtaposed with a growing attainment gap at higher. Given the work Swinney quoted began in 2015 then surely precisely none of the pupils involved will have sat their highers yet?

Of course I would question how relevant schools are to closing the attainment gap and consider the SNP's putting the focus on schools to be inept. I suspect the bulk of it is due to poverty, which has increased massively in recent years due to the policies of the UK government.

Effinbankers, sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  16. moscowbore

It is a cynical political tactic for Swinney to suggest that there has been investment in one area seeing an improvement and using language to suggest that the attainment gap has closed in all areas. The fact that I had to re-read the exact wording of his speech is testament enough to show he is simply playing with semantics.
    Swinney is without shame. The attainment gap is not closing, higher pass rates are dropping on his watch. Evidently he is another keep-my-post-at-any-cost politician.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  17. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think Swinney isn't comparing work in primary schools with Higher attainment. He's patting himself on the back wrt the silly and ineffective PEF scheme (£750 million?!) and quotes praise from some international body while national exam pass rates are falling. If I were him I'd adopt a wait and see approach to find out if the work done in primary schools filters through to N5/Higher in a few years time. Personally, I expect it won't.

Swinney gives the distinct impression that he just doesn't know what he's doing.

But you're right, it's poverty.

sicilypat likes this.
  18. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Just read through this thread again. £750 million, eh? You'd think three quarters of a billion pounds would make a difference, not only "a" difference, but a f______ great big difference.

If I was spending that kind of cash I'd want guarantees that it would work and would be mightily embarrassed if it didn't. Time to resign?

PS that cash would buy at least 15,000 new teachers, which is a no-brainer for me. Is there something I'm missing here, or is it just me?

markbannan and sicilypat like this.
  19. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The vast majority (if not all) of the PEF money should have gone to early years in terms of infrastructure (new classrooms), extra teachers and learning assistants to get P1/2 class sizes down and work on the basics. The fact that the money was accessible up to S3 resulted in mickey mouse Horseriding PTs to keep the S3 neds happy, which will really close the attainment gap!

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. teachaaaaaa

teachaaaaaa New commenter

The problem with the PTs is that there is no other way to pay teachers extra for taking on additional responsibilities. There’s not much I like about the English system but their TLR system that pays teachers without making them ‘management’ is far more sensible. Also lets people take on responsibility without being a manager if they don’t want to be. Are you being flippant about horse riding? Or serious!!