1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Restructuring TLR q

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by torchwoodfan, Jun 13, 2015.

1. School is restructuring from departments to faculties. I have a permanent TLR as HoD and I'm not really interested in the post that would supersede it - assistant head of faculty encompassing 4 non-related departments. I have not given a written note of interest for the new post and know another member of staff has (all other teaching staff have been told they can apply even if they currently have no TLR or any other responsibility in school).

Where do I stand? Will I have to take up the post if the Head offers it to me without being interviewed for it?

very confused ..

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

If the duties and responsibilities of your current TLR are incorporated into someone else's role, you will still have to earn the money, by doing something commensurate with the amount paid. It is highly likely in those circumstances that your TLR will be protected and capped for three years and then it will be withdrawn.

If the head offers you the post without an interview (and there is no requirement to hold an interview) and you refuse, you could find your post being made redundant. You can, however, ask to surrender the TLR element of your salary, but you cannot insist on it.

I'd advise you to tread very carefully.

Have a look at paragraphs 31-33 of the STPCD.

www.gov.uk/.../School_teachers__pay_and_conditions_2014.pdf

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you lose your TLR, then your salary is protected, but you have t take on any duties the school decides on that are equivalent to the value of the protected amount. If you refuse, then you lose you protection. Therefore, the school may be able to save money by asking you to take on the duties of the new role for the next 3 years, assuming that they are equivalent to your current TLR. Or, they may find something else for you to do.