1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Restructuring continues during Coronavirus crisis

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by poppythepuppy, Apr 7, 2020.

1. HadleyDuffs

HadleyDuffs New commenter

I work for a trust who started a restructure shortly before this virus closed schools. Is it right that we should be continuing with this restructure which means redundancies and for many of us interviews for our current jobs?

At a time of such uncertainty and stress it just seems harsh that we are expected to carry on with interviews for our jobs, albeit via skype!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Try and contact your union, but it's a skeleton staff at the moment.
    I fear it may be perfectly fine though...it's work that would be done face to face and is now being done digitally.
    Unfortunate, but probably not fundamentally wrong.

3. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Look on the brightside. Now you can record it!

4. HadleyDuffs

5. HadleyDuffs

Thank you - I have now done that and they have confirmed that they are allowed to do this, but thank you

6. HadleyDuffs

7. HadleyDuffs

I know I did think that, but don't you still have to get everyone's permission?

8. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

I'm surprised the union have said that the restructure can go ahead. I know most of the information from unions is that restructures should be paused. I would contact them again and check.

tall tales and agathamorse like this.
  9. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

They might say this, but to be honest they would probably say it anyway.

In practical terms there isn't any obvious reason why the restructure can not continue.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think this is true for a private individual, although there are rules about what you can do with the recording. I would think that similar rules to recording a telephone conversation would apply. See https://www.dma-law.co.uk/is-it-illegal-to-record-conversations/ . I appreciate that this is just one view,. but others seem to agree. The comment about journalists is interesting - recall the dodgy MPs who were caught via secret filming. I don't recall anybody saying it was illegal.

Pomza likes this.
  12. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Strangely although it is not against the law to record a conversation had in person without the other party bring aware (under certain circumstances and for certain purposes) it is against the law to record a conversation/video link with another without first making the other party(s) aware.

14. hs9981

Maybe in the UK, the same is not true in all other countries.

Record it anyway. What have you got to lose? Just keep it as your 'nuclear' option.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

You job?

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

that is interesting - have you a link to this rule? According to the BBC, in this admittedly old piece, recording a telephone conversation is not illegal, although there can be repercussions when the existence of the recording emerges. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4801072.stm Are video links covered elsewhere, or has the law changed?

That being said, I cannot think how the OP would benefit from recording an interview, and the downside could be:
    Exactly!

17. hs9981

Just record your voices then, not the video.

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

How will recording an interview help, do you think?

19. hs9981

Forensically pick it apart later. Sentence by sentence.

20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Evidence if they later say that they said something else.