1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Restrictive fire walls...

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by frosty1675, Oct 9, 2017.

1. frosty1675

frosty1675 New commenter

The biggest issue I have with the teaching of Media at A level and GCSE is the academy's firewall...
    I cannot access facebook/twitter/instagram etc.
    We are about the have access to youtube restricted to 'educational' youtube only.
    I cannot access any adverts that are for anything slightly interesting!

What do other places do?
    My head is a little blinkered and I'd like to show that greater freedom would not bring the world crashing around our ears!

2. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

Depends on where the blocks are coming. If it's local, a friendly chat with the techs will hopefully allow you to white list certain sites. If it's a higher level than that not much you can do. YouTube access is a mess at the moment unless you are a Google school, but I'm not sure any solution to that is imminent. If it is for your use, you could download videos at home in preparation, but that doesn't help students access it for research.

3. frosty1675

frosty1675 New commenter

Thanks JM6699, but I am most concerned that I cannot access the resources to teach the specification. Do other schools have access to twitter? facebook? I'm concerned as they seem to think we can just use our mobile phones (and our own data).

4. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

When I started teaching I was in schools that had no restrictions and it was bliss. However for the last 6 years I have been in a school where EVERYTHING is blocked and it was a nightmare to start with but I have adapted. It is increasingly normal I think unfortunately and no matter how many times I went to SLT and explained about what I needed access to, it didn't change anything because our internet is controlled by the local LEA. How on earth I am supposed to teach video game marketing when every video game official website is blocked as 'gaming' I don't know.

Social Media Sites aren't too bad because I use a lot of flipped learning. So for homework I will say to the students "Visit this Facebook groups and note down this info e.g. number of followers, likes etc, types of video content, number of posts a week etc" Sometimes I ask them to take their own photos or screen shots of the site. And then in the lessons I set an activity e.g. "Work with a partner to discuss how the company uses social media to engage teenagers" and they look through their photos / notes and come up with an answer.

Same with You Tube - I get them to watch a lot of videos at home. But this doesn't help if you want to model things like close textual analysis in the lesson. I just ended up illegally downloading all the videos I wanted onto my portable hard drive so I could show them even without You Tube access at school. This can be time consuming though. Luckily in my classroom there is a way of us 'getting round the firewall' to get access to You Tube so I look the other way whilst the kids do it and pretend I haven't noticed and if anyone comes in we feign innocence and say we have no idea how it happened.