1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Restorative practices are not working

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 22, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘One of the most commonly used approaches to behaviour management in Scottish schools has been criticised by teachers for adding to workload and being “often ineffective in improving pupil behaviour”.

Secondary teachers are now calling on the Scottish government to review the implementation of restorative practice (RP) in schools.’

https://www.tes.com/news/ubiquitous-non-punitive-approach-behaviour-often-ineffective

What are your thoughts on this issue? Are you in favour of RP? In your experience has this approach helped to improve pupils' behaviour?

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

In my experience (as I've said elsewhere) restorative practices merely empower bullies.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Restorative Practice just doesn't work.

Teachers depend on the pupils in front of them to behave and do what they're told. We actually rely on their cooperation. I could understand anyone kicking off if they were about to be subjected to something bad but we are actually trying to help them f_f_s!

Secondly, pupils know, they actually know, the worst that can happen to them is a severe talking to from a PC or a DHT. Parents back their weans up no matter how bad they are - remember, the parent(s) is/are the Mark 1 versions of their offspring.

Third, some people just shouldn't have kids. Controversial I know but we've all come across dotey parents who couldn't run a bath never mind being burdened with the responsibility of raising a wean.

Fourth, what are schools for? I thought, and still think, it's to educate children so they can get qualifications so they can look after themselves throughout their lives - utopian I know. However, schools are turning into secondary social work centres and we all have to kow-tow to the most needy, whatever that need may be.

I'm sure all will be well after Brexit.

autoq, Marisha and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

5. AyeRight

AyeRight New commenter

Total agreement with the SSTA motion. It’s a “bully the teacher” charter.

Marisha likes this.
  6. Dominieredivivus

Dominieredivivus New commenter

RP may be appropriate in a workplace as a precursor to formal disciplinary proceures, ultimately leading to dismissal. It may be appropriate where disputes arise between pupils. It should have no place at all in a school's behaviour management procedures which are intended to produce an ethos conducive to effective learning. It is tempting for some to interpret such a view as reactionary or even contrary to the pupil's human rights. Not so since the HRA does not permit an individual's rights to overrule those of others. Further, in nearly four decades of teaching, despite inevitable tensions and challenging situations, I never taught any class that needed much reminding that the purpose of the school was to nurture and protect them. The removal of a.persistently challenging pupil w as almost always accompanied by a collective sigh of relief.

Teachers are not and should never be unaccountable but the default position in any school should always be: "Follow instructions now. If you have a problem with that, we will talk about it later." RP entirely undermines such a position since it gives the impression that the proper authority of a teacher may be challenged later if the pupil refuses to follow instructions right at the start. The fact that classroom teachers have to communicate to parents via hard pressed and sometimes unsupportive middle and senior managers does not help.

A former Head Teacher of mine summed up my argument succinctly: 'When an adult in this school says "Jump", the only thing I want to hear from you is ... "How high?'

I do not recall that view, being challenged by any pupil or parent. It should be supported now by all who care about Scottish education.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.