1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resting meat

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gargoyle770, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I'm watching Lorraine's Last Minute Christmas (loving the amount of tools needed!) and she's just got her turkey out of the oven.
    Maybe I misheard but she seemed to just say the turkey should rest for an hour before being carved. Surely it would be completely cold after that long? Am I missing something?

2. I'm watching Lorraine's Last Minute Christmas (loving the amount of tools needed!) and she's just got her turkey out of the oven.
    Maybe I misheard but she seemed to just say the turkey should rest for an hour before being carved. Surely it would be completely cold after that long? Am I missing something?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Rest the turkey for at least 30-40 minutes. Covered in foil (2 layers) and an old, clean towel it will hold its heat for at least an hour or more. Time enough to do the roasties and parsnips.
    I shall do this and let mine rest for an hour, while I do the roasties, parsnips and rest of veggies.

4. Well, well, you learn something new everyday!
    I usually whip it out and hack it up straight away - leaving it sitting about seems wrong somehow.

5. BelleDuJour

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    You MUST leave it to rest.

6. BelleDuJour

Last Saurday I had a party and served hog roast in buns with apple sauce and stuffing. We roasted 2x 6kg boned legs of pork. We covered them in foil and towels, having roasted them before the party started, then carved them two and a half hours later! They were hot and juicy.
    Trust me (and Lorraine) and rest the meat.

7. Two and a half hours?!
    *swoons*

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Trust Belle and Lorraine.
    The longer the resting time the better.
    All meat needs resting - even a steak - but especially a roast, and especially a roast that can easily dry out, such as turkey.
    We've cooked the turkey in the morning or even the day before, in the past.
    If you serve it on red hot plates, and then pour scalding hot gravy on it, it will warm sufficiently, anyway.
    I'd use a meat thermometer, personally, as well.

9. Ooh, you must let it rest. I do the same as Belle, foil and a tea towel for a good half hour depending on the joint. I still manage to burn the tips of my fingers picking the bits of meat from the chicken carcass even when it's rested for a good while. You need to rest the meat to collect all those gorgeous juices which make such a delicious gravy.
    I always use a meat thermometer too, especially when roasting a joint of beef. We like ours medium rare so the meat thermometer is a must. (Please excuse the dreadful lack of paragraphs, I'm on my phone!)

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I would add my agreement to this: roast meat should be rested for <u>AT LEAST</u> 1/3 of its cooking time before a knife touches it.
    Belle is lucky - she has an Aga so has plenty of warm space to let her meat stand: I tend to remove the pan from my grill and use that space, but well wrapped it could stand on the kitchen work surface for an hour or so (providing you have the space)
    In my childhood, my mother used to wrap the roast turkey in an old sleeping bag and put it on the back step while she did the rest (ours was a small kitchen!).

11. Last year I let the turkey rest for an hour at least, well wrapped in foil and an old towel. It was still hot and more importantly, gave me oven space for the potatoes etc.
    It also makes it much easier to carve! This is Mr C's only task and even he can't make a bish of it if it is well rested.

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Yes, you must rest the meat - I even do it with things like pork medallions when I cook them...you will be amazed at the juices that come out when resting. If you don't rest the meat, then you miss out on all the flavour in those juices!

13. And if you cook steaks they should be rested for at least the same number of minutes they were cooked for!
    My goose shall sit and rest for about 45 minutes as I shall use the time to roast the spuds and other veg. It needs all the help it can get as it can dry out (especially as it is a Lidl frozen bird).

14. We'll be having pork - how do I let the pork rest and keep the crackling crunchy?

15. Take the crackling off the pork?
    Rest the pork and the crackling can go back in if it needs it!

16. BelleDuJour

We left the crackling on when I did the pork last week. As I said I rested it for 2 and a half hours and the crackling was just as crunchy. Crackling, once crisp, doesn't 'un-crisp'! It also insulates the meat, keeping the heat in.

17. I remember Gordon Ramsay absolutely swearing (!) by resting turkey as long as it had been in the oven a tip he learned when training in France. Never tried it but if the meat is carved properly and served on hot plates, with hot gravy, the meat being cool from resting shouldn't matter

18. I'll introduce you to my mum... proof positive that crackling does uncrisp. Her cooking skill is the sole reason I went veggie for a few years.

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I agree. In actual fact, I cooked our Christmas dinner yesterday. Bit of a mix up. For the past ten or so years we've spent Christmas day with some friends who have a large family gathering each year and treat us as part of their family. It's great to be part of a family gathering like this. Both my own and my wife's family are scattered in distant parts of the world.
    This year though, they never mentioned Christmas and we didn't like to ask if we were going to be invited, you know how it is. I went to place our weekly food order last Sunday and was surprised that the only day Tesco had a delivery slot this week was on Monday so I ordered a frozen turkey. That's all I could get.
    On Wednesday, my friend gave my wife a lift to the hospital and said she'd pick us up around midday on Christmas day. They'd assumed we'd be joining them as usual.
    So what to do with the turkey that's taking up a big chunk of the freezer? Well, yesterday was our wedding aniversary so it seemed like a good excuse to celebrate it with a Christmas dinner. I took the turkey out of the freezer on Wednesday to defrost it.
    Back to nick's point about the thermometer, I used one and was surprised at how long the turkey was taking to cook. I'd guessed it would take around 4 hours as it wasn't a particularly large bird. The needle on the thermometer hadn't started moving when I checked it after 3 hours. By 4 hours it had started to rise and it took another 2 hours to get to the right temperature.