1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Restaurants in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by beckycharles, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    My OH and I are heading to Amsterdam for a short break at the weekend. Has anyone got any recommendations of restaurants that are worth a visit? We like all types of food! Also if anyone has any tips on things to do, I've got a list of all the touristy things, just wondered if there was anything that I wouldn't know about?
    Thanks,
    Becky

2. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

If you're planning on visiting the Anne Frank Huis, I'd recommend you book online beforehand (gives you an e-ticket to print off) - that way you just bypass the enormous queue and go through the door for pre-booked tickets.
    A canal boat trip is a good way to get a general tour of the city.
    Cestrian

3. Thanks for the heads up! :)

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d697045-Reviews-Van_Kerkwijk-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.htmlGo Van Kerwijk on Nes, a very quiet little street just behind Dam Square. Evenings are busy but lunch is quiet. The owner recites the menu for the day and all the cake is home made too. It isn't expensive and I've never had a meal that wasn't brilliant.
    Take a trip out to Albert Cuyp Markt, open every day except Sunday. The Heineken Museum is there too and you get a few drinks at the end included in the price. If you like cats visit the Poezenboot, opposite Singel 40 in the middle of the day. Free admission but a donation for their work is much appreciated.

5. hi
    we have been each august for the last three years and have now got a few favourite places..from last time, we really enjoyed a restaurant called Brasserie Vlamming-if you look directly at the front of the anne frank huis it is to the right but on the same side of the canal-its currently number 1 on trip adviser-but it is quite expensive, but well worth it for a special meal-about £65 for us both for 2 mains and 2 desserts and a couple of beers.

we also went for a burger at a place called 'burger meester'-again on trip adviser-fantastic burgers and also very good veggie

lastly we went for an indian at a place called Koh-i-noor, theres a couple of these but we went to the one thats on the square near the anne frank huis, lovely food and very reasonable..

Have a great time!

6. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

7. Thank you for all the recommendations! [​IMG]

8. The Van Gogh museum - I never understood the fuss until I saw the origionals.

Not been for years but O remember the chinese food was good.

9. I'd recommend the Electric Ladyland museum - a museum of fluorescent art / paintings - it has to be seen to be believed. It's small and run by a sixties hippie - it's worth going just to meet him - he is so enthusiastic.
    Watch out for local cats coming in - they just sit and stare at the art work for hours!
    Other than that there is a lovely cafe called something like Art,Food? It's opposite the main train station on a corner - it has beautiful artwork inside and amazing home made food.
    We were a bit disappointed by the boat trip - a better way to see the city is to hire bikes (dependent on weather).
    Watch out for bikes at all points - they come from all directions and we nearly got run over a few times. We went in the summer and enjoyed walking in Vondel Park - may be worth a visit?
    We had a great time - hope you do too!