1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rest in peace Sir Terry Wogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 31, 2016.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Another face of my growing up days died today to cancer.
    Well i remember listening to his gruff Irish voice waking up my days and always what seemed an happy personality.
    Another seemingly good man gone.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Listened to his show on R2 when I was working - made the journey to school a joy.

rachelpaula008 and Mangleworzle like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Another one to cancer...

I enjoyed his work. He seemed a very decent man.

4. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I too listened to his show on radio 2 for years on the way to work. Brightened up my morning commute no end. I remember one show when he simply couldn't stop laughing at something, he was hysterical! Loved the Janet and John stories...Latterly enjoyed his Sunday show just to hear his familiar, friendly voice. Very sad, and 77 too young.
    Sorrim xx

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

sI can't say I was a particular fan but he was pleasant enough and, by all accounts, a good man. I was surprised and saddened to hear of his passing.

There have been so many 'familiar' personalities going recently that I am struck that as I enter (ahem) late middle age all the familiar background is disappearing. Obvious, I know, but it sends a shiver down my spine.

lizziescat and sabrinakat like this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When I was about 9 or 10 I would go to my grandparents house for breakfast before school as Mum had to work, he would be on the ancient radio they had then.

Then as others I really enjoyed his breakfast radio show in more recent years on the way to work in the morning.

I liked the fact he was a broadcaster who seemed to do it because he genuinely loved it, a constant through nearly all my life. I will miss him, very sad.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And another one 'bites the dust'
    Yes, i've been saying for a while that my parents generation are remarkable and long-lived with a healthy constitution (have to have been to actually reach adulthood back then) and that the next generation will not last nearly so long. So in answer to
    Yes it is sad, but at 77 he had already exceeded the 'expected age to die' even 30-40 odd years ago. I remember my aunt (90 this year) saying how someone made the front page of the local newspaper, if they reached 70 and many men barely reached retirement age or died within a couple of years.

I have to say surrounded as I am by 3 'elderlies' all in various states if ill-health, all I wish is for a pain-free, quick end for anyone. (I know that impression is coloured at the moment, but it is the way I feel at present.)

8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I remember him retiring and then he was back on the radio the following week and then on telly again.

This is the problem I see with people around me. They don't know how to stop working and put their feet up.

It's good to keep active but it shouldn't mean working and working and working.

I can't say this contributed to Sir Terry's cancer but I feel people have more chance of a longer life if they can stop going out to work as soon as possible.

Even just dealing with people when you could be at home in total peace and quiet is crazy.

But then, I think that people live in a way that makes them ill. All this chaos of 'families' with people constantly talking and trying to live within a shared space.

Never having any time to just 'be' or to live in such a systematic way that nothing gets overlooked, everything is spotless and clean by twelve noon and you've got your feet up for the rest of the day.

Total peace, tidiness and loads of free time to just doss about 'being'.

But Sir Terry seemed to want to rush around meeting people. I can't get my head around it.

Anyway, I think that if you didn't do so much you wouldn't die so young.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like a pretty good description of death to me, but hey, each to their own. Who wants to just be? I'd rather do while I've still got the opportunity. 'He just was' isn't what I'd want people saying at my funeral.

As for Sir Terry Wogan - an all round entertainer who exuded a sense of warmth, good humour and decency. We're richer for his having been here, and for him making the effort to make a difference. A broadcaster in the literal sense of one who spreads the seeds over a wide area to make them grow.

rachelpaula008 and Middlemarch like this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I do agree. Heard the Floral Dance and it immediately brought back thoughts of happy times.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

He was on the radio of a morning when I was a teenager - I'm 58 this year! And then all those years when I might catch a bit of his breakfast show as I drove to work. He was very, very funny and his partnership with Paul Walters (another sad loss) was legendary.

I was sad to hear of his passing this morning.

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It's been an odd month.....I didn't grow up here so my memories of Terry Wogan are of the past twenty years but he seemed to be very loved and a true entertainer....

I found out a week or so that my favourite history professor at NYU passed away and also a favourite (but not well known) actor from a 1980s series died and a former colleague of my husband suddenly died - with Bowie, Rickman and Wogan.....terrible start to 2016.

I do feel that my familiar surroundings are shifting slowly......

PS. On a happy note, though,I had had lunch with my NYU friend year or so ago so we had kept in touch over the years. I'm visiting NYC in May but it will be strange not to see her.

14. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Perhaps it's not all about you.

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Terry accompanied me to work most mornings and I'd be laughing away with him. He introduced me to new singers - the fabulous Eva Cassidy, for example. The Eurovision Song Contest was never the same without him and he had such a unique way with words. Sigh.

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes, and a very professional broadcaster. A safe pair of hands in any situation.

I can't honestly say I would take the trouble to listen to or watch any of his programmes, but if they were on, I wouldn't necessarily turn them off, as they were occasionally amusing such as in the Janet and John parodies. If given the choice between him and Chris Evans, there would be no need to toss a coin. I can't stand the latter.

I don't think it will be possible to say that his output was much other than beige, but he had a endearing way of making fun of it for what it was. The Eurovision Song Contest ought to have died the death in the early 60s if broadcasting was based on merit alone, but for whatever reason, the BBC seems to be contractually lumbered with it. Wogan turned it into something that could never be taken seriously again, which of course it should never be.

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Agree with all the comments. A witty, urbane broadcaster. His Eurovision comments kept me watching this kitsch-fest for years!

rachelpaula008 and lizziescat like this.
  18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Losing my parents meant part of me died too -the part that only they knew.

I have a similar sense of loss when entertainers (whether I was a fan or not) of my childhood/adolescence die - the emotions, context, links have moved further away.

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

I think that's more true of his tv work than radio, I never watched anything of his on the tv except by accident.

I used to really enjoy the morning programmes on the way to work, genuine warmth and good humour, exactly the sort of way I wanted to spend my time and the closest I could get to having a bit of banter in the car with a group of mates at that time of day. I was really disappointed when he retired from that, but he must have been about 70 when he gave up the very early starts. Chris Evans grew on me but was never anywhere near as good.

20. Mangleworzle

I've never thought of the death of others in that way before, so sad and so true.