1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ressources to guide non-qualified substitute teachers

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by marbetu, Oct 21, 2019.

1. marbetu

marbetu New commenter

Hello
    Here is a link to a post I have just made in the "secondary" forum, but I think it is also of relevance to members of this thread.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/ressources-to-guide-non-qualified-substitute-teachers.796014/

In my part of the world (Wallonia-Brussels in Belgium) there is a huge scarcity of secondary teachers.

Because of this, the authorities have relaxed the qualification requirements and now all one needs is a university degree in a subject in order to teach that subject at any level in secondary schools here.

However, as far as I know there is no requirement or incentive for these youngsters to gain knowledge/train (online ... blended ... summer) in teaching or pedagogy.

I'd appreciate your sharing with me your knowledge/experience of any onlline learning in teacher training so I can evaluate it and propose it to these subs in my school. Ideally, the langauge would be French, but Dutch and English are a good second option as we are in Belgium. My plan is to create a free web site were anyone can find appropriate(ish) training to help them develop into good treachers.

So any links or comments will be so gratefully received.

Also, if you are a secondary teacher that speaks French, maybe Belgium would be a nice place for you to teach (I dont know about the administration or legal stuff though ....). We have beer and chocolate though.

2. marbetu

marbetu New commenter

Hold on, this information might not be entirely correct !!!!! I have checked my sources, but there are some mixed understandings of the law by a couple of experts I've contacted, so don't leave your job to move to Belgium just yet.