1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ressources to guide non-qualified substitute teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by marbetu, Oct 21, 2019.

1. marbetu

marbetu New commenter

In my part of the world there is a huge scarcity of secondary teachers.

Because of this, the authorities have relaxed the qualification requirements and now all one needs is a university degree in a subject in order to teach that subject at any level in secondary schools here.

However, as far as I know there is no requirement or incentive for these youngsters to gain knowledge/train (online ... blended ... summer) in teaching or pedagogy.

I'd appreciate your sharing with me your knowledge/experience of any onlline learning in teacher training so I can evaluate it and propose it to these subs in my school. Ideally, the langauge would be French, but Dutch and English are a good second option as we are in Belgium. My plan is to create a free web site were anyone can find appropriate(ish) training to help them develop into good treachers.

So any links or comments will be so gratefully received.

Also, if you are a secondary teacher that speaks French, maybe Belgium would be a nice place for you to teach (I dont know about the administration or legal stuff though ....). We have beer and chocolate though.

2. marbetu

marbetu New commenter

Hold on, this information might not be entirely correct !!!!! I have checked my sources, but there are some mixed understandings of the law by a couple of experts I've contacted, so don't leave your job to move to Belgium just yet.

lunarita likes this.
  3. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

The Royal Society of Chemistry offers online professional development courses for chemistry teachers. Some of them are free. More details here: https://edu.rsc.org/teacher-pd

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Isn't there a German-speaking community too in Belgium with its own parliament and government at Eupen?

5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

If resources and documentation relating to teaching school subjects to learners with special educational needs are of interest to your target group of aspiring secondary school teachers, see "Meeting additional needs / Special educational needs" at:
    http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/inclusion
    where there are links to thirteen National Curriculum core and foundation subjects, from Art and Design through Modern Foreign Languages to Science. Most sites dedicated to addressing learning difficulties focus on literacy and numeracy skills only and not on the full range of school subjects.

Last but not least. Years ago I studied comparative education and earned a Masters degree by researching foreign language teaching in the former German Democratic Republic. This experience taught me that there are significant practical, political, cultural and institutional differences among national education systems when it comes to teaching secondary school subjects around the world. Aims, principles and methods applicable to teaching a particular subject within one country's schools will not necessarily transfer easily to educational settings elsewhere without being tweaked or thoroughly revised first to accommodate diverse local priorities and circumstances!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019