1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Responsive Teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AnnaBrenwald, Feb 2, 2019.

?

How would you manage this?

1. Starter at the beginning of the day

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Have children complete feedback all in one go and have target groups each day

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Let my HA children help others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AnnaBrenwald

AnnaBrenwald New commenter

In Y1 our feedback policy states the children need to have a fix it and challenge after each piece of work in Maths. At the start of the next lesson the children then complete this. I have 27 children and at the beginning of each lesson the feedback time is meant to be 5 minutes. I am struggling with my TA and I to divide ourselves amongst the children. I usually have a fix it group but then those who have a challenge really struggle to complete it independently even after the question or challenge has been read to them twice. This then eats into my new learning time. How would you manage this in your own classrooms?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ignore it completely, probably.

Or have the 'challenge' as something practical like 'play shops', or 'measure the carpet with your shoes', 'complete a jigsaw puzzle', 'make a picture from the shapes'. Then they can get on with it while you and the TA work on the fix it stuff.

I'd also do very little work in books, so the situation doesn't arise very often. So each day only one or two groups do work in books, and they work with the same member of staff the next day for any fix it stuff. Be creative with how you organise lessons and you can get round this.

Pomza, Stiltskin and digoryvenn like this.
  3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Responding to written feedback after every lesson?? In y1? Crazy policy. Do as ctb suggests and put very little in their books, to avoid having to mark it and write feedback.

I tend to look at what the class have found hard each lesson, and re-cover it the following day if necessary. Or move on to the next logical thing - call it a ‘challenge’ If you like. However, rather than writing it in each individual child’s book, I just call it ‘teaching the next lesson’.

Policies like this are what make primary teaching so unattractive <face palm>

minnie me and sparkleghirl like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This made me chuckle...:)

minnie me likes this.
  5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

Oh dear. Follow Caterpillar's 3-word advice in post 2.

minnie me likes this.
  6. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

'Responsive teaching' AKA 'teaching'

7. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

How much of a challenge/fix it does it need to be?

Can you get them to practice number formation, do one quick number bond calculation, write the next number in a sequence, etc?

If you give them all a variation of the same thing- everyone has an addition calculation, but some are tens + tens, some are tens + ones and some are ones + ones, they are all being challenged but it only takes them a few seconds to do in their heads or on their fingers and you're done.

We have a similar (but not quite as harsh) policy and this is what I do. It means you only explain one activity to the whole class and it's super quick.

Fix its can still be done as a group if you needed (or as morning work with your TA).

Some SLTs make it entirely impossible to just refuse to do it so you have to find ways around it...

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

What a massive load of idiocy.

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

100% what I would have done.