1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Responsibility for nursery admissions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by KatharineHP, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I'm the nursery teacher in a nursery attached to a Catholic primary school. It is not in my job description but I am responsible for nursery admissions for our 40/40 place nursery and I wondered if that was usual practice.
    I do not get a time allocation for meeting parents, showing them around and interviewing them or for writing and posting letters and phoning parents. Phone calls regarding admissions are patched through to me during teaching time throughout the year. We admit children as they turn three not the term after they turn three as in state schools. We admit children who are not Catholic. We have a single form entry (30 reception places, priority given to Catholic children in the catchment) and regularly turn away at least 12 children who were in our nursery who applied for reception places. Our staff ratio is 1:10.

2. I'm the nursery teacher in a nursery attached to a Catholic primary school. It is not in my job description but I am responsible for nursery admissions for our 40/40 place nursery and I wondered if that was usual practice.
    I do not get a time allocation for meeting parents, showing them around and interviewing them or for writing and posting letters and phoning parents. Phone calls regarding admissions are patched through to me during teaching time throughout the year. We admit children as they turn three not the term after they turn three as in state schools. We admit children who are not Catholic. We have a single form entry (30 reception places, priority given to Catholic children in the catchment) and regularly turn away at least 12 children who were in our nursery who applied for reception places. Our staff ratio is 1:10.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I did most of that when I was in Nursery although the actual letters were sent out by the office.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sounds quite standard practice to be honest.

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I'm pretty sure applying and accepting my child's place was done through the lea. The school does deal with sending a pack out after you have accepted the place. Tell the secretary not to patch calls through and take their names and numbers and give a message that their call with be returned at time x or day x (if you can nominate a day that you deal with admissions). Also nominate a day for for walk throughs if you can. Tours are done on Wednesday mornings...

At my school the head does the tours, not the Nursery Teacher.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It is unusual for LEAs to handle nursery admissions
    Places at all community and voluntary controlled nurseries are allocated by schools in accordance with admissions rules.
    Foundation, voluntary aided schools and academies are responsible for their own admission arrangements and the school's governing body is responsible for allocating places.

7. Did you have those responsibilities written into your job description?

8. The lea does the 'state schools' not the church schools. They forward us applications accidently made to them.

9. I suspected it was. Just fed up with dealing with so many phonecalls especially during the time I was carrying out the first batch of the new Welsh nursery child development assessment profiles. And parents evenings and writing reports for the 50 children in the September cohort. Got the Oct/Nov lot to do now...