1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Responsibilities of a trainee teacher ( in college)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by questionsandanswers, Jul 14, 2016.

1. questionsandanswers

questionsandanswers Occasional commenter

Hey everyone :)

I will be starting my PGCE this September. I was wondering what responsibilities I will have..
    So far I am aware that I will have to plan lessons, deliver lessons,engage in staff meetings.

I wanted to know bit more about what I would be expected to do..so for example, I know teachers get a lot of emails but would I also be required to give my email to students or is that optional?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

What sort of college is it? FE or Sixth Form?
    Are you employed by the college as a lecturer or teacher?
    What sort of PGCE will you be doing?

3. questionsandanswers

It will be a FE college
    No I will not be employed by them while completing my PGCE
    and I will be doing a PCET PGCE

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

OK. Well be prepared to be asked to do almost anything then!

Regarding your email address, I wouldn't hand that out to students unless it's your official college one and it is only used for officially sanctioned purposes.
    You might want to lay your hands on every college policy - IT, safeguarding, homework & coursework, etc and read them thoroughly before you start.
    You may have some pastoral care/tutorial duties and there should be some college documentation explaining that role. Possibly you might be expected to have some input into consultation evenings/parents evenings.
    You need to, as part of your PGCE, prepare and deliver schemes of work.
    Obviously you'll be marking your students work too.
    Hopefully you will also get to do some college INSET too.

I'm sure there are loads of things I've forgotten :)

questionsandanswers likes this.
  5. questionsandanswers

Oh cool it all sounds fun :) can't wait to start!

Do you work in a college? If you do what subject do you teach?

Also, do you know if TES has a mobile app for Samsung? :)

Thanks

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I spent most of my careed in FE and 6th form colleges but left, after doing a PhD, to lecture at HE but I do freelance stuff now after a life-changing accident. My subject is an arts/humanities one but my postgrad studies and work straddled two faculties, one of which was the School of Education.

No idea about the app, sorry.

Good luck.

questionsandanswers likes this.
  7. questionsandanswers

Oh okay, sounds good! Sorry to hear about your accident. Good luck with everything you do too, and thank you :)

RedQuilt likes this.