1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Responses to tale telling!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Dec 15, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Just looking for some different ways to respond to those children who come and tell on other children for EVERYTHING. This seems to be my whole class at the moment, but there are a notable few who do it regularly and it's sooo annoying when you're trying to get on with things. Usually if I know it's rubbish i'll say "Ok thanks for telling me" but the closer i've got to the end of term the more I find myself saying "off you go please!" instead. I just wish I had some way of saying "Go away" without actually saying it!

2. This is a big issue in my class and I have also found it increasingly annoying as the terms gone on. To the habitual tattlers I generally point out they should be so busy with their own learning/play etc they shouldn't be noticing what others are doing. Its a polite way of saying stop being such a busy body and get a life!

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I ask them to also explain to me why they've told me. Sometimes there's a genuine reason but mostly there's not ...and then they have to face up to the fact that they've told me just to get someone else into trouble. Then I tell 'em how mean I think that is and totally ignore their tale.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

That's what I do razzie. I explain the difference between 'telling' (to get someone into trouble) and 'reporting' (a dangerous/serious situation).Reporting is fine!

5. I dont think theres anything wrong in saying go away! (although perhaps not in so many words!) They need to learn that telling tales wont get them attention and that 'busybodiness' is not an attractive quality!
    I say 'why is that your concern?' if its genuine 'tattling' silly things like 'x hasnt tucked his chair in' or something that happened to someone else 'x took y's pencil'.
    If its important but clearly the child is trying to get another into trouble 'x hit someone' 'x said a naughty word' then I just say 'as long as you are behaving you dont need to worry' and then deal with the other child in a non-public way.
    If its a whole class problem I would address it as that. Have a chat with the whole class about supporting each other rather than looking for reasons to be negative. Show that tale telling will not be tolerate - if you have any constant offenders then punish them!! I have a similar problem with dramatics (I feel ill, I feel upset followed by hysterical tears and refusal to be comforted) I take the same attitude (whilst understanding that there may be an underlying issue) be honest with the child - if you think they are telling tales then tell them that.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I have genuinely said "I'm not really interested, to be honest" to UKS2 children, for example if I'm in the middle of something and they're supposed to be tidying or something and they come and tell me something really boring just to get someone else in to trouble.
    If it's "so and so says this" and when you ask they say "yes, but he said X first" I just say to both of them "If you can't get on, find someone else to talk to." Or, if someone says "Danny says I'm rubbish at drawing" I say "And are you rubbish at drawing? No? Then just ignore him." I then say to Danny "I really hope you didn't say that Danny" and leave it at that, walking away before Danny can tell me if he did or didn't as I'm really not interested.
    If someone tells me something that's nothing to do with them ("Tom just kicked Harry") I say "well if Harry's bothered by that he can come talk to me about it".
    I detest tattle taling. I have run circle time on it whilst on supply as I find it so bloody infuriating.
    The other thing I do with older kids is "How would you feel if I kept telling you every little thing Mr X says to me? Danny, Mr X says my hair's untidy. Mr X says I'm rubbish at running. Would you be interested?" They realise probably not.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do that, and thankfully it works just as well in yr2 as it did in year 6.

If it is about themselves I generally say "And is it THAT important?" Nine times out of ten they say no and so I say not to bother telling me then. When they say yes, I ask them why and then I listen properly and find out why.

Sometimes I just respond with "Did he? How horrible, I would stay away until he feels better and so is nice again" or something similar.

I do have a couple of pretty vulnerable girls who are often mean when they feel left out or sad. So if one tells tales I might suggest she just gives her friend a hug, a smile and a reminder of how much they like each other. They are getting the idea.

8. WB

WB Occasional commenter

If it is just telling tales I just say "Don't tell tales" then I walk away.

9. I always ask them if it directly affects them - very often it doesn't.
    If it doesn't directly affect them and they continue to tell tales - tell them to take a piece of paper and write it down for me at playtime - they can do this on the playground - remarkably they very often don't think it's worth losing their play for! [​IMG]

10. If it's a child that does it constantly, I tend to put my head in my hands, say 'for goodness sake!', give them a despairing look and then tell them to go away. They get the idea that I'm really not interested quite quickly!