1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Response to Reading Projects

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, Nov 23, 2015.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Hi there,
    I'm trying to compile a list of projects it would be possible to give to KS3 students to choose from after / when reading a novel. This is to check their independent (free choice along a theme) reading, which is in addition to literature circles or other focused reading lessons, so the aim is really to see if they are keeping up with regular reading, rather than assessing any particular skills. It could therefore be written, videoed, illustrated etc - that's up to them.
    The criteria for any option is that it proves they have read the entire book (inasmuch as anything can). Quotations will usually be expected. Examples:
    1. Map your book to the Hero's Journey with 1 quotation (and page reference) beside each stage.
    2. Summary of the plot in 10-20 pictures with quotations for each caption.
    3. Connect at least 5 events from the book with events from your own world or the world at large.
    4. Complete a reading journal as you read the book responding to 1 of 3 prompts for each chapter or section.
    Any more ideas please?
    Thank in advance - this'll help more than just me I'm sure!

2. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Rewrite the text for a different audience?

Write a how-to guide using advice/examples from the text (depends on what text it is)

Create an album/compilation CD, making up tracks and songs to represent key characters/themes/events in the text. Think of a suitable band name and album title.

Hope that helps!!

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Thanks thief. Every little helps!