1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Response to Parent Survey - What to put on our website

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SJRose23, Feb 6, 2019.

1. SJRose23

SJRose23 New commenter

Hi,

Just looking for opinions if I can. I work in a 2 form entry primary school. I'm currently maths lead and a staff governor. We have just received results of the parent survey and communication is the largest area with comments for improvement. We have a lot of parents who are engaged and would like more information regarding where their child is in terms of year group expectations so that they can help at home. I totally understand this but am worried about bombarding parents with information.

After meetings, we have decided that we need static pages on our website for each year group with objectives and examples. It's a big job to start with but once complete, we will not have to change them at all.

I would like to know people's view on what should go on there. I was thinking year group maths objectives, times tables expectations, writing objectives in child speak with examples of expected standard writing, reading objectives, ideas for reading and questions for comprehension, recommended book lists, homework links. We are also in the process of redesigning our curriculum as we are expanding and leaving behind a rolling program so I was thinking a really brief overview of what will be covered within the year and when, no more than one word like 'Vikings'.

Any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Sarah

2. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

With Maths as well I'd suggest some kind of very parent-friendly guide to the methods taught in school (particularly the ones that have changed since parents were at school or if you've gone down the White Rose route where some of the representations are really very different until you're used to them). Also for things like "times table expectations" - define how you're wanting the children to know these - is it to be able to count up in that pattern of multiples, or answer quick-questions plucked from that table at random, or is it to be able to drone on "one times two is two... " like lots of the parents probably did at school - just in terms of clarifying exactly what you're wanting the parents to reinforce at home. It's often obvious if you're coming at it from the classroom teacher angle but if you're stood the other side of the school gates and Maths teaching has changed so radically both from when you were at school yourself and then again when Mastery came in that parents can really feel like they have no blooming clue whatsoever about what they're doing! (That wonderful bit in the Incredibles 2 when he despairingly comments about "how can you change Math" while trying to help with homework really does resonate with lots of parents!)

That's me coming at it from the viewpoint of a returning teacher getting back into the swing of things, a parent of infant age kids myself and parent governor.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about information bombardment - the sort of parents who are going to be going further into the school website than checking what the lunch menu is for the day and when the half term dates are - are the sort of parents who are WANTING that kind of information to support school at home. May as well get them working and supporting in a way that helps the school as much as possible!

Edited to add - the examples I've given of the stuff parents want to know are the ones that were raised at recent Maths events in particular at my own kids' school.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Imagine you are a parent without a teaching background - what kind of info would you find palatable / useful ?
    Trial a workshop / steering committee with engaged and enthusiastic parents - they could be guinea pigs / co contributors to your website ?

4. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

At our school, what the parents want is to hear from the teachers a out what their children are doing. Our deputy once led a parent committee, and they agreed that what they wanted was "a window into their children's
    have you considered Class Dojo?