1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Response to Intervention

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by kt_hoffman06, Dec 1, 2017.

1. kt_hoffman06

kt_hoffman06 New commenter

Response to Intervention is the 3 tiered model that provides support to students struggling with their schoolwork who may not have a specific learning disability. All schools must switch to this model by 2020. I think we can all agree that implementation is a key factor in whether the Response to Intervention method will work or not. If the way that the school systems put RTI into effect is not working successfully, then the model is useless. There are two sides to implementing RTI; monitoring the progress of students, and actually providing the right services for the individuals who need them. Many people have an opinion of how to do this but my opinion is that we should use a combination of three different methods. The direct assessment, the indirect method, and the manualized treatments method. Each of these are ways that teachers can keep themselves on the right track when providing interventions. The direct assessment uses other teachers observing the teacher providing the interventions. the indirect method uses samples of the students work and performances on tests in order for the teachers to hold themselves accountable when providing the interventions. Manualized treatments employ the use of checklists and charts in order for the teacher to monitor their ability to provide the correct kind of instruction and not leave any of the information out.

I am really interested to hear some other ideas you have on how to implement RtI. Please respond and give me some of your ideas!!