1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Responding to T&L/Lesson Feedback

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nick909, Nov 30, 2015.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Briefly, I've received written T&L feedback from my HT nearly two weeks after observations (it was a whole morning observation, three lessons, with book scrutinies) and I disagree with some of of the points made.

More specifically, the feedback had at least six instances where I've been told that the T&L should have included "x", yet I can evidence that it did/does. The HT simply missed them.

Given that the observation forms part of my appraisal, I think I'm entitled to respond. How would you go about this? I'm thinking of a politely written email where I list the points and give my responses? We are a small school and I have a good relationship with the HT.

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Email saying thank you for the detailed feedback, I have been reflecting on it and wanted to respond with some points.

Pick out a couple of genuine areas for development and explain how you will address then over the coming weeks, then move on to what you feel was not right by saying, helpfully, "I think you may have missed me doing this..." or "I felt I did this by...".

A good head will welcome the dialogue, especially if it's framed in a way that looks like your updating on how you intend to improve in areas highlighted. Explain you take observations and professional development seriously and thought it prudent to email back your own reflections on the lesson.

nick909 likes this.
  3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

You're.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thank you newposter.

I've done that and also asked them to pop back in a couple of weeks and observe me again.

5. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

I think it's best practice to have verbal feedback soon after the lesson observation - preferably on the same day - followed by written feedback within a time frame of no longer than 5 days. There are good reasons for the steps in this process and the accompanying time frame. I think by not following these best practice guidelines your head has done you both something of a disservice.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Since written feedback doesn't always happen, you are perhaps lucky to have any at all, @nick909 , although the lack of verbal feedback as a first stage is disappointing.

The advice by @newposter is just right, I have nothing to add to that excellent response.

Best wishes