1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Respiration and breathing question

Discussion in 'Science' started by Amehackett, Aug 11, 2015.

1. hi I'm looking for some help preparing for an interview please....

what do you think are the reasons that students confuse respiration and breathing? and how would you help students to understand the difference (apart from explaining it!) thank you

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The reason why they confuse them is due to breathing being carried out by the respiratory system.

I always focuse on respiration being one of the 7 common things carried out by all living things. It is easy to point out that plants do not take in breaths but they do still respire. I would then focus on the chemical reaction that is respiration (probably by burning some glucose)

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Another cause is that First Aid courses provide instruction in "Artificial Respiration."

Maybe using the term "gas exchange" for breathing would help?

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

External, Internal and Cellular respiration. Splitting it up like this might hep.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Also it is quite apparent fish do not 'breathe'.

You also hear the medical profession using 'respiration' when they mean 'breathing'.

6. geoff1954

geoff1954 New commenter

Respiration is a series of chemical reactions going on inside cells.

Breathing is the movement of air in and out of lungs.

The only connection between the two is that breathing is done to provide oxygen which is often used for respiration.

Breathing is one of the types of ventilation. Other ventilation is the movement of water through a fishes gills and the (slight) movement of air through an insect's spiracles and trachea.