1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Respect

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Teslasmate, May 22, 2019.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

This week, I have mostly been irritated by gobby children demanding 'respect', or accusing me of being disrespectful towards them.
    Now, I believe I treat all children (and most adults) respectfully. Clearly the language has shifted recently, as my disrespect has manifested as:
    1) No you can't go to the toilet in the lesson.
    2)...because that's the rules
    3)...and I don't care what Mr/s X does
    4) You have a detention for Y
    5) No I won't let you off
    6) Stop talking
    7) ...now
    8) Evolution happened even if you don't believe it
    9) The big bang happened even if you don't believe it
    10) I'm not interested in hearing your excuse for your behaviour for the 4th time. I heard and rejected it.
    11) Bring a note
    12) Because you lie to me constantly and I therefore can't trust your word
    13) I'm not your friend, don't call me 'fam'
    14) I'm an adult working in your school, different rules apply to each of us
    15) That's not correct

The kids at this school really don't understand how the dynamic is supposed to work. But then that's because in this school, it hasn't up until recently.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Whatever are we going to do about this?

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How about leaping up onto the desk and breaking into song, Blues Brothers style?

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

If that happened, I wouldn't be surprised if the class walked out and left, a la Matt 'guitar' Murphy...

6. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

Lack of respect for those in power.... that reminds me, off to the polling booth tomorrow to deface my ballot paper.

sabrinakat and artboyusa like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Quite likely, but think of all the viral YouTube videos it would generate.. :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Even better if the teacher then turned to the one 'good' kid, still sat in the their seat (a la Blue Lou) and said, "go on then, get" to complete the scene.

mathsmutt and magic surf bus like this.
  9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They don't actually know what respect means, or what it is supposed to mean. They think that it means that they can be as challenging (naughty and rude) as they like and teachers are supposed to just take it and should not find fault with them.
    They have various reasons for why teachers must do what they say. I've been told that I have to personally provide them with pencils and pens to replace the ones that they have just deliberately broken because apparently their parents paid my wages. I have asked what jobs their parents did to be told that they are unemployed.
    When they could not get me to back down on detentions etc, they'd reverse their claim that they were not children and would tell me that adults have to make allowances for them as they were just children and therefore make mistakes.

cissy3 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Aaaargh!!!
    But you can go quite a long way down that lane if your HT supports you! I had the good fortune to have two who took **** from neither child nor parent.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Unfortunately your HT and SMT rarely support you when you are the supply teacher. The sanctioned pupil will appeal to them and make the case that 'the supply (a.k.a Not A Proper Teacher) was over-reacting.
    Sometimes it will be a pupil who is usually good as gold but has tried it on with the supply teacher to gain some street-cred or just to experience what it is like to play up without their permanent teacher's opinion of them being ruined.
    The SMT generally suggest to the supply teacher that perhaps things can be smoothed over if the pupil apologises and we can all start afresh (sweep it under the carpet and not inconvenience anyone, or school behaviour records, with a DT etc). Pupil then ungraciously says, "I'm sorry if you THOUGHT that I was out of order/rude/abusive" and SMT smile and ask if that's all settled now. Miss jubilee then, with practiced ease (because it happens so often) says that the pupil was not actually apologising. It wasn't a misunderstanding where I THOUGHT that they were out of order/rude/abusive, when actually they were being perfectly civil ... they really were those things and I wasn't accepting their faux apology ... and the DT stands!
    Cue the usually well-behaved pupil scowling or crying, and the usual suspects telling me that I'm a fu$king $unt. That'll be two detentions then and possibly a short exclusion because it was witnessed by SMT.
    Swearing and spitting at the HT or SMT warrants immediate exclusion. When it's other staff, esecially supply staff, it's often seen as their pupil management failure.

cissy3 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I get you.
    Completely.
    I cannot tell my stories here, but I could have written your post myself.

I don't think those self-serving accusations are inevitable from all children at all.
    They are inevitable only and always when they themselves remain unchallenged in an instructive and explicit way, and I mean not just by the teacher in front of them, but thereafter consistently and by the highest authority. They are children. They are unformed yet receptive opportunists, with a latent tendency towards expedience and ease. A tendency which is tempered and steered with age. But as children, they do not deserve, warrant or have the skills to be in charge over their educators.. Nor is it in either their or anybody else's longer term interests. The children you talk of have not benefited from the right stuff at the top. What a waste.

Headteachers-are you listening?