1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources - Whole School - Request?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by brad-ashley, Apr 30, 2016.

1. brad-ashley

brad-ashley New commenter

I quite enjoy making resources, particularly those that are engaging, look good AND can be used by multiple subject areas.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas for resources that I could try to create to fill a gap... I had the idea for 'Starter Central' and my 'Plenary Selector' but I can't really think of where else I could go resource wise! I'm particularly interested in ideas for templates/ideas that can reduce planning.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

brad-ashley likes this.
  3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Over the years I made a couple of classroom resources designed for secondary teaching use across the National Curriculum:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/subject-keywords-3000799
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...mory-activities-across-the-curriculum-3000821

As a special educational needs teacher/ the starting point for each resource was an irritation that existing commercial special educational needs materials were either totally non-subject-specific or addressed just the core National Curriculum subjects of English and Maths by promoting literacy and numeracy development in a narrow way. Because these commercial materials avoided all other school subjects, from Art and Design through Modern Foreign Languages to Science, I believed that my colleagues teaching such non-core subjects would feel no sense of "ownership" or inducement to use the materials. Their non-subject-specificity or a perception of their limitation to English and Maths would pander to the notion that addressing special educational needs was the concern of the SEN, English and Maths departments and nobody else.

Anyway, at the time, subject vocabulary development to improve spelling and literacy and the encouragement of subject mnemonic use to improve memory skills seemed fertile ground for resource creation and you can see the result in my own resources above. They appear over the years to have found a wider secondary school student audience than just young people with learning difficulties. They both cover the National Curriculum with one or two pages for each NC subject and to save time I used a similar word-processing template for all the subjects covered, enabling me to include a variety of activities that might appeal to both teachers and students.

If you want to create your own materials covering most or all National Curriculum subjects, I would recommend doing the following:
    * Identify a schoolwide teaching priority that needs to be addressed across the curriculum and that you are itching to address yourself;
    * Begin with a simple piece of subject matter that exists in each NC subject (mine were lists of subject keywords and lists of subject menemonics);
    * Devise a range of activities to help students learn, practise and revise these pieces of subject matter. Use online programs such as "Puzzlemaker" when making wordsearch tasks and the like;
    * Make it obvious to subject teachers in your resources that you are targeting their non-core subjects, and not just English and Maths, by borrowing subject matter from those non-core subjects;
    * To be sure that you aren't "reinventing the wheel", check online and in the TES resource bank in particular that somebody else hasn't been there before you;
    * Good luck, and remember the acronym KISS, standing for "Keep it simple, stupid"; the "stupid" bit is about what you are minded to do, not about what the students bring to your resources! Simplicity and clear subject relevance are both key if you want your resources to be adopted and then deployed in class by busy subject teachers.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    brad-ashley likes this.
  4. inara14

inara14 New commenter

Different AFL activities?

brad-ashley likes this.