1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources to Support School Closures

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by penyrheol1, Mar 13, 2020.

1. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Dear TES

I have just heard that you are removing paid resources that are aimed at supporting teachers and pupils through school closures. Can I please ask that you rethink this policy. Adapting existing resources into successful remote learning packs takes a lot of time and effort. These need to be produced, in my opinion, by experienced authors otherwise the students could be left coping with resources that don't work properly without teacher support. I think that teachers, schools and parents, as always, should have the freedom of choice as to the quality and cost of the resources they are providing for their children. There are many authors whose main source of income is writing resources. It is unlikely that these remote learning packs will be used again once things return to normal.

Good luck and wishing everybody all the very best during this trying and worrying time.

2. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We understand that our premium authors spend a lot of time and effort creating the best material they can for teachers. This is why we hope our author community will volunteer their expertise and continue sharing their excellent resources for free to help in time of need.

You are still welcome to package your resources related to remote learning for sale at this time but we request that it is not specifically designed to capitalise on the current virus situation. All our authors can also continue to earn the royalties from the rest of the resources they have created or will create. We strongly feel that we should all work to make support accessible to everyone regardless of whether they can purchase it or not.

nwilkin likes this.
  3. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Fair comment but I am also thinking of those authors who will not be in a financial position to do so and could find that their usual resources, which depend on a certain level of teacher support during use, will not be selling.

4. Hopefully TES will self fund a 50% off sale for all Customers to help them afford to buy in extra resources they may need to teach the students and help support its valued authors who may not be financially in a great position if schools close for several months

godwin86, nwilkin and penyrheol1 like this.
  5. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

A site wide TES funded sale is a brilliant idea. It helps both the teachers and the authors in these difficult times, and would give TES a valuable boost in popularity if they act so generously.

penyrheol1 likes this.
  6. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

This is a brilliant idea. A much smaller American website that I also write is funding a 40% off resources sale. I think the goodwill created will have long-term benefits

nwilkin likes this.
  7. thecre8tiveresources

thecre8tiveresources New commenter

Come on TES site wide 50% sale - time to give back to the teaching community you care so much about! It’s in time’s of crisis you truly find out who has your back.

nwilkin likes this.
  8. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

Unfortunately the consequences of all the schools being off means that anything that isn't designed for remote learning (ALL of my stuff) wont sell. I'm doing this self employed. I am extremely worried about the next few months.

When you say "all work" you mean the authors work to make everything free and then you take the credit for it. It would be good if TES also made some concessions so we were all working together to support teachers. E.g. you could fund a site wide sale.

Even better yet TES could find all the sales of remote learning packages. Then the authors who are in a financially unstable position might be able to survive the next few months a bit better.

9. MikeRichards

MikeRichards New commenter

Hi everyone

Just to let you know I'm uploading a 2 daily Phonics Phase 5 lessons for my own class. Please share with parents from your own schools, especially after I heard a parent on the BBC website expressing their concern and bewilderment at the prospect of delivering phonics. At present I'm in school every other day, but if I have time I'll expand this to include other Phases, starting with Phase 4.