1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

resources / recommendation for Levi-Strauss reading

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by OneLooseCrank, Nov 5, 2018.

1. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    I'm starting teaching A-Level Media Studies this year, and have been dropped in the deep end with an A2 class. I intend on teaching some Structuralism via Claud Lev-Strauss as directed by the Educas teacher's guide, but there don't seem to be any resources on this theorist there. I've had a browse, but most of the sites that I've discovered are quite 'high-brow', ad related to language study rather than media.
    I'm hoping that someone will be able to recommend some reading (websites would be ideal) or resources that will get my own understanding up to speed before I write some resources for class.
    Thanks,
    OLC

2. medialyf

medialyf New commenter

Nick Lacey's "Narrative and Genre" has a really nice section all about Levi-Strauss (and a little on structuralism as well!). It's a fairly cheap and recommended reading for any person new to studying media - student or teacher!

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

5. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Try this video on You Tube. The lady that does them has a whole channel with videos about every theory, explained in simple terms for students and teachers, and discusses them in relation to the Eduqas set texts

6. jbanko70

jbanko70 New commenter

This is a good recomendation. She gives great pieces of advice. Also I read this website to add some additional information to what she says.

7. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Thanks for everyone's contribution. I'm sure I'll be looking into these in a lot of detail in the coming weeks!