1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources/info/activities - dyslexia

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sispud, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sispud

sispud New commenter

Hi, I'm looking for some ideas to use with a boy that I tutor privately. He is in year 9 and has only just been diagnosed with dyslexia. Apparently it is severe but he is high-achieving. He has a reading age and a spelling age of 8 judging by the tests I've used with him. Anyway, I am an English teacher, so don't have any specific experience of helping with dyslexia, so just wondered where to start really. We've done some phonics and we play some games like scrabble/hangman, but I'm just wondering if there are any books/resources out there that I could maybe work through with him? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. I have resources that were made for dyslexic pupils at primary level. I have adapted these by changing most of the pictures to be more suitable for older pupils. I can send you a list of the resources and some examples of the ones I have adapted. They follow a structured multisensory programme of phonics and sight words.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

3. Hickey programme is a good all round resource - spelling, reading and handwriting taught through multisensory activities.

4. Hello Mags, I have 3 children of my own with dyslexia and a fourth that is only 6 and struggling so if you could forward the list to me as well I would be so so grateful !

5. I agree Toe by Toe is perfect for this.In the SfL department we also use computer software from Lexia called 'Strategies for Older Reader' (I work in secondary) - it supports the Toe by Toe programme with additional phonics practise - but I don't know how realistic it would be for a private tutor to buy it http://www.lexiauk.co.uk/products/lexia_reading_software

6. Hi, could you kindly send me some of the resources to help a year 7 pupil. scan213@yahoo.com
    Many thanks.

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

There are some useful individual and whole class strategies on the site. I'm a big fan of Universal Design for Learning (making learning accessible for the widest range of learners, thereby decreasing the need for individual interventions) and their approach fits right in with that.
    Maybe it's just me, but I do have to say that I am a bit put off by the whole, "dyslexia is a learning preference" slant and that talking about a cure is insulting to dyslexics. When I see this type of argument, I always think, "Well, maybe bulimia and anorexia are merely eating preferences" and we're wrong to try and fix people with those preferences.
    My son has Autism and as much as I love him and appreciate what makes him unique, I think on many days that I (and he) would happily take a cure for his "neurological preferences". I'm all for focusing on strengths and promoting positive self esteem, but I sometimes think that the idea that learning disabilities aren't really disabilities can get a bit off track. Sorry, but it's been a long week.