1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources in PSRN area

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hammiedrew, Aug 29, 2011.

1. I am about to begin the year working as a reception class teacher where the Foundation Stage works as a unit with reception and nursery children able to use the four rooms available. Each room contains an enhanced learning area and my room is the PSRN. I am looking for resource ideas as the ones I have available are limited? I worked in the school for a few weeks last time and realised my room was hardly used by the children and want to change this. Any suggestions for good fun interactive activity ideas that will hopefully encourage the children to use the room regularly?

2. I wonder what you have in your room at the moment? Why do you think children are not using the room much? I would regard sand and water as PSRN resources. Likewise 3D blocks and other mathematical type construction. A role play shoe shop or supermarket would also hit the spot. A number washing line. Sorting materials. Balance scales. Floor number line, shape mats, number cones, sparkly numbers, compare bears, size worms, shapes to draw around, magnetic shapes on boards, cork boards with tacks and shapes, shape printing, number printing, play dough, number birthday cakes with candles (from a catalogue). Look at some catalogues for lots more ideas.

3. I'm also looking for inspiration for my number area. I have found over the last couple of years, despite changing my provision and adding things all the time, that the children don't use the number area as much as my other areas. I already have a lot of the things thumbie has mentioned as provision in my classroom but I'm just wondering what other teachers specifically put in their number areas and how they get the children interacting in there.

4. this idea are brilliant thank you! I don't know why they don't use it I only observed this during plan to learn time. The few weeks I was in I was based in a different room. I think it had alot to do with the other teachers motivation if being honest. I am really eager to ensure this doesn't happen this year so hopefully with a well resources area and an enthusiastic teacher the children will respond.

5. This has nothing to do with resources for PSRN, but may have abearing on children using a space - or not!
    A few years ago I noticed that the area within my classroom that was the least used by the children was where painting, collage, sand, water and other messy play was (due to this part of the room having a moppable floor!)
    My solution was to hang voiles artistically[​IMG] from the ceiling. Just that in itself made all the difference in the world.
    Sometimes it's not the resources themselves but the way in which you 'market' them.
    Just a thought. Other than that, listen to thumbie!!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

In reception I had some spice tins like these [​IMG]
    I stuck a number inside each tin
    The tins are magnetic so the children could use them to order the numbers or they could open them and put the correct number of objects in the tin before ordering
    Simply ordering them
    putting the correct number of items in each tin
    [​IMG]
    Ikea do sets of three magnetic tin and boards which I got the caretaker to screw to the back of a cupboard

7. kbewell

kbewell New commenter

little bags with numbers written on and interesting things to put on them can be pegged on a washing line in order. My children like a challenge I gave them elastic bands and geo boards and asked them to make as many shapes as possible and photograph them. drapes are great. baskets, pots to put things in shoe laces for size order. etc
    Keys with numbers on tags and a board to match the keys on. we actually used this as part of role play hotel but the children liked playing with them.

8. Lots of good ideas here, but I have always been struck about how little children use mathematical vocabulary or play mathematical games without adult guidance. I think you have to put lots of input into setting problems and supporting children to encourage them to engage with PSRN. It's just a fact of life! Especially with calculating.

9. I think your right I will bear this in mind as well as making sure the resources are appealing some brilliant suggestions thank you.

10. i have lots of natural materials that our nursery and reception children love to use

large stones/rocks for making number towers, sorting, weighing, etc
    small stones some of which have numbers written on them
    shells
    sticks are great for calculation - e.g if i snap these 2 sticks in half how many will i have, etc. sticks are also good for non standard measures
    conkers, acorns, glass nuggests (the type you put in a bowl with candels),
    books and characters linked to stories i.e. 3 bears, 3 pigs, the shopping basket, etc
    lots of differents sized everyday containers, e.g. egg cartons, cake plastic cartons, little perfume boxes, etc
    photographs of the type of activities you want to promote act as great provocations for children and supporting adults!