1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources - hoard them or wing it?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I rarely keep hard copies unless they are laminated or a class resource that would take a bit of producing.
    Purchase a hard drive from PC world (currently about £30 for 500GB or £50 for 1TB) and then file you resources. I now have three years worth of teaching resources gained from 3 different schools and a variety of websites. Also display resources, name sheets, labels etc... I probably won't use everything every year but I know where things are when I need them.
    Also, more importantly, don'tforget to keep a back up!

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm an instinctive hoarder. Anything you find or create electronically is there to be tweaked & reused in the future. There's no need to search for or create something until you need it, but never get rid of something once you've got hold of it.

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Many schools don't and in any case it's part of the QTS standards to demonstrate your ability to plan your own scheme of work that develops learning.
    Why were you 'finding' resources? I make most of mine from scratch, even as an experienced teacher. It's probably easier to make your own to your specific requirements than to find then adapt existing ones. Then I would DEFINITELY recommend building up a bank of these resources for future use.
    Yes, it is. Electronically or otherwise.
    And many of your resources would still be useful. Not to mention that if you do get a job, you may teach a different year group each year, so will need your resources. You could also share your resources with your collegues.
    I'm not sure why you are dithering over this. All you have to do is keep an electronic copy of any resource you make on your USB pen, and on your computer.