1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources for refugee and asylum seeker pupils in KS1! Help needed please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lil_chicaR, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Hi
    I'm currently undertaking my dissertation (undergraduate) on ...the support received by refugee and asylum seeker children in KS1 classroom.
    What i really need is for a few teachers and classroom assistants to share with me what resources and methods they use in the classroom to get refugee and asylum seeker children involved? Is there some sort of activities? Are there certain displays up on the wall? Do your use flash cards in two languages (english & the first language of the pupils)?
    Just any insight on how you work with these pupils will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

2. Hi
    I'm currently undertaking my dissertation (undergraduate) on ...the support received by refugee and asylum seeker children in KS1 classroom.
    What i really need is for a few teachers and classroom assistants to share with me what resources and methods they use in the classroom to get refugee and asylum seeker children involved? Is there some sort of activities? Are there certain displays up on the wall? Do your use flash cards in two languages (english & the first language of the pupils)?
    Just any insight on how you work with these pupils will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If the children have little or no English, we give them intensive language support. The asylum seeker or refugee status doesn't affect this.

We get them involved really by making them feel safe and confident in the same way as we do all children who join our school at unusual times.

We support whatever emotional needs the children have and work with their family if necessary.

We don't really have anything specific for refugee or asylum seeker children and families, though we do have them in our school. When they come to us they are just children and we meet whatever needs they arrive with.

Not sure this is any use to you.

4. That is great thank you. With regards to english as an additional language, do you use certain types of resources to support their learning of the english language?