1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources for primary supply teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cremor, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Hi

I have recently signed up to a supply agency as a stepping stone between achieving QTS and getting my very own classroom. However, being new to this, I feel unprepared for whatever lies in wait and want to change that before I actually start going out to schools.

I'm looking for advice on what resources to take with me more than anything. Some of the things I'm putting together include a set of different coloured pens to fit in with any marking policy, a bunch of pencils and rulers in case they are needed for the children, stickers and a personalised stamp, possibly a set of about 15 whiteboards and markers (not sure how necessary this is), bits and pieces like blutak, paperclips, stapler, etc.
    I also want to take a variety of lesson and filler ideas for the times when there may be no work left by the class teacher. I was looking at some books for this as well as resources from this website.

I'd appreciate any opinions on the things I have mentioned so far, any good or even essential things I have missed out and some story books that would be great for adapting across year groups for either just reading to the class or basing lessons on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi cremor

Really you should not have to take anything and this has been discussed on previous threads, so I won't rehearse the arguments of that here.

What you describe sounds very organised and should cover all your needs and more. Most of the time you will find the schools will have provided appropriate work and supplies for you.

Remember to take PE kit or trainers to keep in the car if you need them.

From what you write it sounds as though you teach primary. In secondary you would not be able to carry all your things from room to room. If you are in primary, what about a puppet for those odd five minutes?

Have a brilliant start and let us know how you get on as I like to read stories a out how people manage as supply teachers.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Cremor, you don't need to take anything at all. There are all sorts of reasons for this. It occurs to me that if anyone uses any of the equipment you provided and it breaks and hurts them or they hurt someone with it, you are not insured. Don't even contemplate providing equipment like whiteboards and pens.

The school pays the agency about £200 a day for you. The agency with all that money will certainly not be doling out stuff to the pupils so why should you? Day to day supply requires that the school provides you with a lesson plan and the resources for the students to complete their work. Primary schools have stationery in the classroom. If it is not accessible because the cupboards are locked, the site manager can come in and open them.

Don't buy resources made for supply teachers. It annoys me that anyone is creating such a market. The people who should be buying that stuff are the schools themselves. It doesn't take a genius to work out that someone will have a day off at some point during the term, so it is wise for them to have a stock of ready-made activities that a cover supervisor or supply teacher can use. Why some schools don't do this is beyond me. It is not in your job description, at least on day to day cover, to provide resources.

You will be busy enough getting to far flung schools after being called at the last minute without the hassle of lugging a trolley full of stuff you paid for. No one will thank you for doing more than you are paid to do. They will just pile even more on you.

Pepper is quite right. All you need is your own pen, some lunch (as most schools don't have cash canteens) and a pair of trainers in case you have to cover PE.

If a school has failed to provide any suitable lesson plans and resources, call your agency at break as it is a breach of contract on their part. Don't cover up for their failure to do their part.