1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources for Hijab debate in regards to identity

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by matryoshkadoll, May 5, 2011.

1. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Hey there - Looking for some resources on the headscarf debate to incorporate into a lesson about identity. I have found a few bits and pieces here on TES, but wondering if anyone has what another user mentioned to me about some thing from RE today. Here's hoping in anticipation!!! xx

2. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Hey there - Looking for some resources on the headscarf debate to incorporate into a lesson about identity. I have found a few bits and pieces here on TES, but wondering if anyone has what another user mentioned to me about some thing from RE today. Here's hoping in anticipation!!! xx

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm not a Muslim but visit the Middle East frequently, I often wear hijab in places where I feel safer wearing it.

4. When I look at the hijab start by making the class write down the first 3 things that come to their mind when they think of a girl in their year (stressing that it is not allowed to be offensive!)
    Class share these and we discuss whether the class thinks of people in physical terms or not.

I then use a worksheet I made using the the veiled essay of Maysan Hadar. It's on my laptop at school or else I'd send it. It's basically this text with appropriate questions.
    http://www.jannah.org/sisters/veiled.html
    I then use the truetube clip.
    We then read in a textbook how veiling is dependent on the society.
    We also look at how burkha and how this is in contrast to the previous ideology,
    Don't know if that's any help?

5. So politically incorrect comments get wiped, eh? Hitler woulda been proud.
    Wearing a veil or the Full Monty from head to toe means less skin cancer butmeans Vitamin D problems with bones for many women in the Muslim world.
    Not wearing a veil means more skin cancer. Switzerland and Australia have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.
    I still say if a woman is ugly veil or not she should stay at home. Blokes for that matter too, but I am not worried about blokes.
    Wearing a veil can be simply a medical issue. Baldness for women is, socially speaking, not acceptable but it is far more common than people realise.