1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources for down's students

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sciencechimp, Dec 14, 2015.

1. sciencechimp

sciencechimp New commenter

I have two Down's syndrome students in my mainstream year 8 science class and am finding it really difficult to cater for their needs. I have never taught Down's children before and am finding it quite hard to pitch the work at the right level. I am still erring on the side of too demanding and need to find more accessible resources for them. Does anyone know where I could access appropriate resources, hopefully following the key stage 3 science curriculum? There are none on the Down's websites I have looked at. Any help much appreciated!

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

http://www.widgit.com/resources/curriculum/science/index.htm but I can't see that the resources go to year 8. Hope someone can help you. Trouble is youngsters with Down's are all different and there is so much to bear in mind: language, short attn span, memory problems, possible visual/hearing problems etc. etc. I always found symbol support, small step learning and hands-on equipment useful with younger ones but if you have a full class and no additional help it must be very difficult. Good luck!

3. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

What level are they working at? As pointed out above me, not all Down syndromes are the same. I have a year 5 boy in my class who functions roughly at P4 but I guess yours are much higher.
    What are they struggling with exactly?

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

As others have said, very few students with SEN conditions are alike. Have you read the students' SEN file to determine which strengths as well as weaknesses they have presented during their educational history? Have you spoken with the colleague who taught them science in Year 7 and determined which teaching strategies worked for them? Consider too consulting colleagues who deliver the rest of the National Curriculum to these students during Year 8 to find out how they are managing in other subjects, and if they are, see if you can borrow any general classroom strategies that might work for science.

As for resources, selecting these will be guided by what the students' individual strengths and weaknesses are. You may find something to work with on the TES Resource Base. You have already discovered that some British websites devoted to SEN conditions such as DS are designed to help parents rather than teachers, which can be frustrating for schools. Those that do have educational content also appear to concentrate on primary-aged students. American websites for DS may be worth Googling because tha larger population there generates more demand for information and resources.

You may end up, as I did, creating my own (MFL) teaching materials out of frustration with existing commercial courses. I enjoyed producing them as a problem-solving exercise that helped vulnerable students learn and took pride when they were successful in helping such students access the curriculum.

5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

6. sciencechimp

sciencechimp New commenter

Thank you all for these helpful suggestions, will certainly use some of these ideas.

7. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

Are the children statemented? If so, do they have support from an SSA in class?